Texting candidates, instead of emailing or calling them, can save you time. You can send a brief and straightforward message while you’re on-the-go, during commute or in-between meetings.
For example, it’s convenient to text candidates when you want to confirm an interview or give them an update on the status of their application. For longer discussions, like giving interview feedback, opt for emails or phone calls.
Before sending an SMS, it’s best to ask for candidates’ consent to contact them via text. Particularly, if your candidates are EU citizens, their personal data is protected by the new data protection law (GDPR). So make sure you respect all relevant regulations when texting candidates. Also, despite being a more casual way of communication, texts to candidates should still be professional. Double-check your language for clarity, tone and accuracy and avoid texting after office hours.
Take a look at our guide to learn more about how to recruit candidates via text effectively.
Sample recruiting text messages to candidates for different scenarios
Job interview invitation text message
- Hi [Candidate_name]. Here’s how you can get to our office [map url] for your interview tomorrow. Let me know if you need further help. Looking forward to meeting with you.
- Hi [Candidate_name]. We’re looking forward to meeting you tomorrow at . Keep in mind that traffic is usually quite heavy during that time so allow 10-15 extra minutes to get here. Feel free to contact me at this number if you need any directions.
Follow up text message after an interview
- Hi [Candidate_name]. Thanks for coming in today. It was great meeting you. Keep an eye on your inbox – I’ll send you the assignment we talked about by the end of the week. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Have a nice day!
Reschedule an interview text message
- Hi [Candidate_name]. Due to [a scheduling conflict], we have to reschedule tomorrow’s interview. Are you available on [Thursday at 3 pm] instead? Let me know if that works for you or if you prefer another day or time this week. I apologize for any inconvenience.
SMS candidates with one click, straight from the Workable mobile app.
Text message to reconnect with past applicant
- Hi [Candidate_name]. I’m [your name] from [Company_name]. We’re hosting a careers day on [date]. We’d love to see you there to discuss our new openings. If you’re interested, please let me know and I can send you some more details. Have a nice day!
- Recruiting email templates for all scenarios
- Interview confirmation email template
- Invitation to interview email template
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial