Plumber Interview Questions
Plumbers are the people you call when you have a plumbing problem or want to install an hydraulic system. Hiring a plumber can be tricky since, apart from theoretical knowledge, you need people who respect safety precautions, work well in teams and have a good problem-solving attitude.
Requirements will vary depending on whether you’re hiring for an apprentice, a journeyman or a master plumber. Apprentices should be motivated and able to follow instructions to the letter. With other candidates, ask questions to determine their level of technical expertise and ability to solve problems. Master plumbers also need leadership skills and knowledge of regulations and processes (e.g. acquiring permits or building codes.)
Role-specific questions should be tailored according to the industry you operate in. For example, a plumber working in an industrial setting may need a different skillset than a service plumber. Additionally, plumbers employed by construction companies will need specialized knowledge such as installing complete hydraulic systems from scratch. The following plumber interview questions provide examples of how to assess candidates effectively.
Operational and Situational questions
- What license do you have as a plumber?
- Have you ever plumbed an office building?
- If you had to install a new system for an entire floor of a building, where would you start?
- What is the first thing you look at before you design a plumbing system?
- Do you have any experience installing water-based heating systems?
- Walk us through the installation of a gas and liquid heating system, like an air-conditioning unit.
- If a customer complains their house has too little water pressure, what steps would you take to fix the problem?
- If a customer needs a new toilet installed, you remove the old one and discover the floor is rotting, what do you do?
- How do you prioritize when dealing with different customers at the same time?
- What safety precaution measures do you take when installing or maintaining a plumbing system?
- What experience do you have with snaking clogged pipes?
- Do you prefer your water mains to be PVC or copper?
- What advantages do PVC water mains provide?
- Have you ever installed a shower with multiple shower heads? How did you keep water pressure high?
- What are the advantages for installing steel plumbing underneath a sink? In what cases would you do it?
- Tell us about one downside of a conventional water heater. Would you suggest an alternative?
- What is the worst thing you had to do as a plumber?
- Tell us about your most challenging task and how you performed.
- Describe a time you were given incomplete instructions about a project. What did you do?
- Recall a time you offered excellent customer service as a plumber.
- Describe a time you had to work in a team to complete a project. What was your role?
Pro tip: Licensure varies depending on location. Make sure you check the legal requirements and screen out candidates who don’t meet them. As the plumbing profession is often unionized, make sure you know about union guidelines before you hire.