Operating Room Nurse responsibilities include:
- Assessing patients prior to surgery and alleviating their concerns
- Gathering all supplies needed for the operation
- Assuming responsibility of keeping the operating room sterilized
We are looking for a competent Operating room nurse (or perioperative nurse) to assist surgeons during operations and keep the operating room sterile at all times.
They need to possess phenomenal efficiency and attention to detail with a strong knowledge of operation procedures and patient safety. Being compassionate and sensitive is a prerequisite for the profession. The ideal candidate goes one step further by being a critical thinker, fast to act in emergencies.
- Assess patients prior to surgery (e.g. NPO status) and alleviate their concerns
- Gather all supplies needed for the operation
- Assume responsibility of keeping the operating room sterilized
- Position and prepare patient on operating table
- Pass medical instruments or other objects to the surgeon during operation
- Monitor patient’s vital signs to detect anomalies
- Evaluate patient in postoperative phases
- Adhere to safety standards and precautions
- Assume duties within or out of the sterile field as assigned
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as operating room nurse (circulating and scrub)
- Excellent knowledge of aseptic and sterile techniques
- Solid understanding of patient safety and precautions
- In-depth knowledge of surgical operation procedures
- Outstanding organizational ability
- A great team player with excellent communication skills
- Cool tempered with emotional and physical stamina
- Diploma in nursing and a valid licence
Frequently asked questions
- What does an Operating Room Nurse do?
- Operating Room Nurses ensure that the operating room is clean, sterilized, and ready to go at any time. They also take on tasks like alleviating patient concerns before surgery or gathering all supplies needed to complete an operation safely. After a procedure, they ensure the operating room is appropriately cleaned and stable for patients.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an Operating Room Nurse?
- The Operating Room Nurse is responsible for keeping patients safe during surgery by providing care before, during, or after surgeries. They are tasked with ensuring operating rooms are clean and sterile while preparing for and following procedures.
- What makes a Good Operating Room Nurse?
- Operating Room Nurses need to be able to work as a team. They must also have excellent communication skills because they're responsible for relaying information between doctors and patients during procedures. Nurses should always stay organized so that everything runs smoothly on their watch.
- Who does an Operating Room Nurse work with?
- Operating Room Nurses work alongside Nurses, as both professionals assist patients throughout their preparation and healing processes. They collaborate to ensure operating areas are clean and patients are cared for adequately.