What is a mortgage loan officer?
Mortgage loan officers help clients find appropriate mortgage loan products. They usually work for banks and other lending institutions.
What does a mortgage loan officer do?
Mortgage loan officers gather clients’ financial information (e.g. taxes, debts) to review if they are eligible for granting mortgage loans. They complete mortgage loan applications based on national and local financial standards and review their progress.
Mortgage loan officer duties include:
- Analyzing complex financial data
- Resolving problems throughout application processes
- Building positive relationships with clients
Mortgage loan officer job requirements and responsibilities may vary with different employers. When crafting your own mortgage loan officer job description, be sure to tailor it to your needs.
We are looking for an experienced mortgage loan officer to join our team.
You’ll work closely with our clients and find the best mortgage loans for them. You’ll estimate creditworthiness by combining information from client interviews and financial documents. Submitting applications and reporting on their progress will also be part of your mortgage loan officer duties.
To succeed in this role, it’s important to be client-oriented and have strong analytical skills. A degree in Finance or Business is a plus. If you’re also reliable, honest and possess good judgment, we’d like to meet you.
- Collect financial information (e.g. taxes, debts)
- Evaluate creditworthiness and eligibility for obtaining a mortgage loan
- Interview clients
- Guide clients through mortgage loan options
- Prepare and submit mortgage loan applications
- Ensure data are in line with national and local financial rules
- Monitor and report on application processes
- Inform clients about loan approval or rejection
- Help resolve problems with applications
- Research new mortgage loan policies
- Ensure compliance with privacy laws and confidentiality policies throughout the process
- Build a supportive referral network (e.g. with clients, lenders, real estate agents)
- Experience as a mortgage loan officer or in a similar role
- Previous experience in sales or customer support is an asset
- Working knowledge of mortgage loan computer software (e.g. Calyx Point)
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Great mathematical and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Reliability and honesty
- A valid license is a must
- Degree in Finance or Business is a plus
Similar job titles include: