This Maid interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best maids and housekeepers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Maid Interview Questions
Room cleanliness is a critical aspect of your guests’ experience at your hotel, which is why it is vitally important to hire a skilled maid or housekeeper for your hotel. Common job requirements for this position include proven work experience, English language fluency, and a high school degree.
Your maids will often be around your guests’ belongings, so be sure to do a background check on your candidates before you schedule your interviews. You’ll want to weed out candidates with a history of legal troubles such as theft. In general, you’re looking for candidates who are trustworthy, polite, hardworking, and self-motivated. Housekeeping work is repetitive, so use these interviews as an opportunity to find out what motivates your candidates.
Use the following interview questions to hire the right maid for your establishment. The questions are open-ended and situational, designed to encourage your candidates to speak at length about their relevant work experience.
Operational and Situational questions
- How much housekeeping experience do you have? What were some of your responsibilities as a housekeeper?
- What’s the most challenging aspect of working in housekeeping?
- How do you make sure that you complete all the work that is assigned to you?
- How long do you think it should it take to clean a guest room?
- What precautions do you take when using any kind of chemical cleaners?
- What would you do if someone asked you to perform tasks that are not in your job description?
- What would you do if you caught a coworker stealing?
- Describe a time when you disagreed with a coworker or manager. How did you handle it?
- Recall a time when the quality of your work was criticized.
- How would you deal with an angry customer?
- Have you ever had to apologize to a customer for any reason?
- How would you handle special requests from customers? (Extra pillows, soaps, etc)
- This work tends to be repetitive. What motivates you to do a good job?
- Describe a time someone praised you for a job well done.