Use this Law Clerk job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Law Clerk responsibilities include:
- Assist and counsel lawyers and judges on their primary duties
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for specific cases
- Conduct extensive legal research and analysis
We are looking for a Law Clerk to join our team and assist our Judges and Lawyers with various administrative tasks to ensure they can efficiently complete their duties.
Law Clerk responsibilities include preparing legal documents, conducting legal research and analysis and compiling case materials for Lawyers and Judges.
Ultimately, you will work with various Lawyers and Judges to ensure they can do their duties as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Prepare memoranda and briefs with accurate information on specific cases
- Provide assistance prior to and during a court proceeding by preparing for a case and examining the related legal documents
- Ensure that related case documents are properly ordered and available
- Attend court sessions to listen to and record critical information
- Supervise the work and activities of courthouse interns
- Maintain and update law libraries, literature and documentation
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Law Clerk or similar role
- A bachelor’s degree in law is required
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Fantastic document management expertise
- Organized with strong conceptual and research skills
- Flexible schedule with a commitment to attendance
- Critical thinker who displays accuracy and attention to detail
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Law Clerk
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Law Clerk do?
- Law Clerks are legal professionals who review trial records, research the applicable law and draft legal memoranda and court opinions for Lawyers and Judges.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Law Clerk?
- Law Clerks have many responsibilities such as conducting legal research, preparing bench memos, and drafting orders as needed. They also proofread the judge's opinions as well as verify citations to ensure they follow the correct format.
- What makes a good Law Clerk?
- A good Law Clerk must have excellent research skills, as they help Judges and Lawyers research various legal documents. They also need strong communication skills since they will work with legal professionals in high-stress situations.
- Who does a Law Clerk work with?
- Law Clerks typically work with Judges and Legal Counsel to provide administrative support on various law cases.