Inventory Specialist job description
The Inventory Specialist is a professional responsible for checking shipments going in and out of the company and ensuring that all orders are delivered correctly. They must also report any issues with inventory management systems or other employees to their managers so they can resolve these problems quickly.
Use this Inventory Specialist job description for advertising your vacancies and finding qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Inventory Specialist responsibilities include:
- Tracking inventory maintenance
- Controlling flows of equipment and supplies
- Reporting to management and advising on process improvements
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our team as an Inventory Specialist.
An Inventory Specialist’s responsibilities include counting and balancing merchandise, making price lists of products in stock by scanning them with a bar code reader/writer. You will also identify any discrepancies or losses at the end of business operations each week so they can be prevented from happening again.
Ultimately, you will be responsible for tracking all inventory to ensure our company maintains proper inventory levels for products, equipment and supplies as needed.
- Evaluating and managing stock rotation procedures
- Maintaining inventory storage space in the store’s warehouse
- Training store staff in stocking procedures and product dating methods
- Planing store warehouse space usage
- Placing inventory restock orders
- Communicating with store management about any inventory issues
- Work with management if products are missing or damaged within a shipment
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Inventory Specialist or similar role
- Minimum of 3 years experience in the field
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Working knowledge of word processor, database and spreadsheet software
- Able to work weekends on occasion
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does an Inventory Specialist do?
An Inventory Specialist ensures that their company's shipment arrives at its destination in perfect condition. They do this by counting products, checking for manufacturers’ defects, and making any necessary repairs before the product can be sold or destroyed if defective.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Inventory Specialist?
Inventory Specialists have many responsibilities based on the needs of their company. Their primary duties include controlling the flow of supplies and equipment, tracking inventory maintenance for safety reasons. They also develop protocols to mitigate loss if something ever happens, like fire or theft at your workplace.
What makes a good Inventory Specialist?
Successful inventory specialists should have excellent interpersonal communication skills and use basic computer programs like Microsoft Office and Excel to communicate and retain records throughout their shift. They also need to be detail-oriented to maintain lots of inventory records or different departments and business areas.
Who does the Inventory Specialist work with?
Inventory Specialists typically work with Duty Managers to oversee the accuracy of shipments going in and out of the building. This means Inventory Specialists have to work with other employees who unload and load containers while also communicating with leaders in different departments.
Hiring Inventory Specialist job description
Post this Inventory Specialist job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.