Use these sample Illustrator interview questions to evaluate candidates’ design experience and skills. Feel free to modify these questions to meet your specific needs.
Illustrator Interview Questions
Illustrators use design software and hand-drawing techniques to create original pieces of artwork. They work on multiple projects, like advertisements, books, magazines, brochures and websites.
During your interview process, assess candidates’ portfolios. Illustrations they’ve created reveal candidates’ aesthetic criteria along with their sketching and editing techniques. Opt for professionals whose work samples resemble the way you want to portray your brand. The best candidates will be able to explain the messages they wanted to send through each of their illustrations.
Beyond design skills, your future hires should be able to collaborate with a team and respect deadlines. The following interview questions will help identify how candidates work with other team members to complete projects. Also, keep an eye out for potential hires who are comfortable presenting their work and receiving feedback constructively.
Operational and Situational questions
- If you’re working on a project and are falling behind, would you ask for an extension to refine your illustration or submit an OK piece of work on time?
- What would you do if the printed colors were different from the ones you designed on your computer?
- How would you deal with different opinions between team members on how to illustrate a concept?
- What would you do if a client kept rejecting all the drafts you presented them?
- How do you prepare your work for production?
- How do you start a project? When do you know it is finished?
- What design software do you use?
- What’s the best technique to add perspective to an image?
- What is your favorite piece of work in your portfolio? Why did you make it?
- How much time did you have to design X piece?
- What resources and techniques did you use for X piece?
- Describe X project. What was your role on the team, what guidelines did you have and what results did you achieve?
- How do you get inspired?
- How do you learn about new techniques and tools?
- What type of design work do you enjoy the most: print or digital? Why?
- How has your work contributed to brand development?
- Describe a time when you worked hard on a project but you received negative feedback from your manager or client. What did you do?
- How do you overcome a creative block?