Use this Dentist job description sample to attract and hire qualified healthcare professionals for your dental clinic, hospital or private practice. Feel free to modify job duties and requirements based on your needs.
What is a dentist?
Dentists are responsible for anything regarding the health of the mouth, including the teeth, gums and dental tissues. They need to be licensed to perform their duties. Note that dentist education requirements may differ from country to country or from state to state.
What does a dentist do?
Dentists can be general practitioners or specialize in specific areas (e.g. pediatric dentists, endodontists and periodontists). In this case, they’ll need to develop specific dentist skills. Often, they’re required to complete additional studies.
General dentist duties include:
- Conducting oral screenings to identify diseases and infections
- Removing tooth decay and plaque
- Applying prosthetics, sealers and whiteners
We are seeking an experienced Dentist to provide comprehensive dental care to our patients. Your role will involve diagnosing, treating, and advising on various dental issues. You should possess a wide range of expertise in addressing teeth and gum problems, ranging from routine plaque removal to advanced procedures such as dental implant placement.
Your primary objective will be to promote and maintain good oral health among our patients. This will involve not only treating existing dental conditions but also educating individuals about preventive dental care practices. By encouraging regular check-ups and emphasizing proper oral hygiene routines, you will contribute to the long-term well-being of our patients.
To excel in this position, you should have a strong background in general dentistry and be skilled in performing various dental procedures. Your expertise should extend to areas such as dental prosthetics, endodontics, and periodontics. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential to establish a comfortable and trusting relationship with patients.
Join our team and make a positive impact on the dental health of our community while providing exceptional care and guidance to our patients.
- Examine patients’ medical records
- Prepare patients for treatment (e.g. by applying oral sedation or anesthesia)
- Check teeth, gums and other parts of the mouth, along with X-rays and tests, to diagnose dental problems
- Clean teeth and remove plaque
- Identify tooth decay and replace cavities with fillings
- Design and fit dental prosthetics, such as bridges, crowns and dentures
- Apply teeth-whitening treatments
- Conduct tooth extractions and root canal procedures
- Perform surgeries on diseased tissues and bones
- Prescribe medication as needed
- Educate patients on proper brushing techniques, flossing and fluoride use
- Promote good oral health and preventive dental care (e.g. by scheduling regular check-ups)
Requirements and skills
- Work experience as a Dentist
- In-depth understanding of dental hygiene
- Experience with dental equipment and tools
- Experience with surgeries and teeth extractions
- A pleasant and compassionate personality with the ability to make patients feel comfortable
- Attention to detail
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD) or similar degree that gives license to practice the dentist profession
Frequently asked questions
- What does a dentist do?
- A dentist diagnoses, treats, and advises patients on dental issues. They clean teeth, fill cavities, perform surgeries, and promote oral health.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a dentist?
- Dentists examine patients, diagnose dental problems, clean teeth, perform procedures like fillings and extractions, design and fit dental prosthetics, and educate patients on oral hygiene.
- What makes a good dentist?
- A good dentist has a pleasant and compassionate personality, attention to detail, ability to remain calm under pressure, in-depth understanding of dental hygiene, and proficiency in dental equipment and procedures.
- Who does a dentist work with?
- Dentists work with dental assistants, hygienists, and dental laboratory technicians. They may also collaborate with medical professionals for complex cases or refer patients to specialists.
- What skills should a dentist have?
- A dentist should have practical experience in dental procedures, knowledge of dental hygiene, proficiency with dental equipment and tools, ability to perform surgeries and extractions, and strong communication skills to educate and interact with patients.