Deli Clerk job description
A Deli Clerk is a professional who assists shoppers at the deli counter by recommending foods, providing samples of meats and cheeses, cutting them with precision tools and weighing packages for sale.
Use this Deli Clerk job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Deli Clerk responsibilities include:
- Providing exceptional service to deli counter customers by answering questions, providing samples and responding to requests
- Recommending, slicing, weighing, packaging and pricing meats and cheeses
- Preparing special orders and party trays
We are looking for a Deli Clerk to join our team and assist customers as they look for items sold at our deli counter. This position will work directly with the Deli Manager and other employees to complete tasks throughout their shift.
A Deli Clerk’s responsibilities include cleaning and preparing workstations, answering questions from customers about products they sell in the grocery section and helping customers checkout as needed.
Ultimately, you will serve customers promptly and accurately, ensure food quality and safety and help support the deli at large.
- Update displays, cases and other customer-facing areas to ensure new items and promotions are showcased
- Ensure work areas are ready to service customers by cleaning surfaces, equipment and floors, removing trash and confirming that tools are in working order
- Follow all food safety and sanitation procedures established by the company and other regulatory agencies
- Cooperate with others to ensure customer satisfaction
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Deli Clerk or similar role
- Excellent customer service, communication and math skills to process customer orders
- Ability to comprehend and follow all company procedures and regulations regarding food handling and sanitation
- A courteous and efficient approach to handling customer requests, questions and complaints
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Deli Clerk do?
A Deli Clerk is a customer-facing position that helps shoppers find meats, cheeses and other items they need. They also help with weighing, packaging and displaying items as required.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Deli Clerk?
The Deli Clerk is responsible for handling various products in the deli department and interacting with customers to make sales. Their duties include slicing meats and cheeses, taking inventory of products on display and promoting the types of meat or cheese available in their deli department.
What makes a good Deli Clerk?
A good Deli Clerk must have excellent customer service skills since they work directly with customers throughout the day. They also need to be familiar with various tools to cut and organize the meats and cheeses offered in the deli department.
Who does a Deli Clerk work with?
A Deli Clerk usually works with another Clerk in the department, and they are supervised by a Store Manager who assigns tasks throughout their shift.
Hiring Deli Clerk job description
Post this Deli Clerk job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.