This Case Manager interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best case managers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Case Manager Interview Questions
Case management in a healthcare setting is a cross-disciplinary practice. Your candidates will have varying specialties, and they’ll come from a variety of backgrounds including nursing, social work, medicine, workers’ compensation, and mental and behavioral health. The role will vary from company to company as well. The following questions function as a starting point, not a script. Feel free to add your own questions tailored to the exact working environment of the job.
For this position, a specific knowledge base is less important than the values demonstrated by your candidates. On top of clinical skills, compassion, empathy, patience, perseverance, caring, and advocacy are extremely important for this role. In addition, the role of a case manager increasingly calls for leadership and teamwork skills. This is crucial as case managers must be able to coordinate care with the patient’s entire care team including physicians, specialists, hospitals, families, payers, community resources and more.
These questions are written to encourage candidates to give you as much detail as possible about their relevant knowledge, training, and expertise. The most promising candidates are thoughtful and will ask you smart, spontaneous questions of their own.
Operational and Situational questions
- What training or experience has prepared you to excel in this role?
- What specific interests or specialties do you have in case management, if any?
- Walk us through your typical day at work.
- What information do you need to have to create the patient’s health care plan?
- How do you manage transitions in a patient’s health care plan?
- How much negotiation do you have to do on a day-to-day basis?
- How would you rate yourself on providing necessary information to a patient’s entire care team?
- Describe a time you worked with members of a patient’s care team to achieve a significantly successful outcome.
- Described a time you communicated complex medical information to patient in a way that was easy for them to understand.
- How do you work with your patient to evaluate the care they received while in the hospital?
- How would you minimize your patient’s time in the hospital?
- What is your experience with helping families arrange long-term care for patients?
- Recall a time you had to manage conflicting priorities.
- In what ways have you demonstrated cultural sensitivity?
- What’s stressful about being a case manager?
- How do you demonstrate leadership in this position?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial