This Billing Specialist interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Billing Specialist Interview Questions
Use the following interview questions to hire a Billing Specialist for your accounting department. Billing specialists, also known as billing clerks, are found in industries of every kind. This is typically an entry level role. The basic requirements for this position are a high school degree and the ability to use computer accounting programs. Candidates who are committed to a career in accounting may already have, or be in the process of obtaining a bookkeeping certificate or an associate’s degree in accounting.
Related: How to attract and hire entry-level employees
Top candidates for this position may have previous customer service experience and will have a genuine desire to help customers. They will be detail-oriented, methodical and exercise caution when handling sensitive information. Because the work tends to be repetitive, keep an eye out for candidates who are self-motivated. Make it a point to find out what they hope to get out of their experience with your company.
These questions are intended to encourage your candidates to speak at length about their relevant work experience. They will help you evaluate computer skills, interpersonal skills, problem-solving skills and knowledge of basic accounting. During the interview process, pay attention to your candidates’ questions. Great candidates will have done their research and will ask smart, specific questions about your company.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe your typical day at your current/previous job. How do you prioritize your work?
- How would you rate your proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel?
- Describe your familiarity with billing and invoice software.
- How many invoices do you handle on a daily basis?
- Describe a time you had an invoice discrepancy with a client. How did you resolve it?
- Explain the financial transactions involved in the billing process and your experience with each (i.e. classifying, computing, posting, verifying, recording)
- How do you keep track of incoming payments and ensure that it is in compliance with financial procedures? How do you ensure that they’re properly posted and accounted for?
- How do you ensure the timely collection of invoices?
- Describe your most hostile payment collection call. How did you handle it?
- Describe a time you went the extra mile to deliver excellent customer service.
- Describe a time you worked with a team to complete a project on a tight deadline.
- As a billing specialist, have you ever faced an ethical dilemma at work? How did you respond?
- What skills do you deem necessary for a billing specialist with our firm. Do you think you possess these skills?
- This job can be repetitive. What motivates you to do well?