Assessor interview questions and answers
Use these sample Assessor interview questions as part of your hiring process to screen and evaluate candidates.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Assessor Interview Questions
Assessors, also known as Real Estate Appraisers, estimate the value of real property or land usually before it is sold, mortgaged, taxed, insured.
In most countries and states, an assessor license or relevant certification is required for this role. Make sure your candidates are qualified before inviting them to an interview. They should also be familiar with commercial real estate software, like ARGUS and LoopNet. During interviews, test how candidates stay current with industry legislation and tax regulations.
This role requires advanced knowledge of construction, material and building techniques, so candidates with relevant work experience will stand out. Keep an eye out for people with solid written communication skills, as they’ll have to prepare thorough reports on property appraisals. Also, explain how much time is spent out of the office. If the position requires travel, check candidates’ availability.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you determine the value of major improvements to an old building?
- How would you begin your evaluation of a 10-floor building?
- What criteria do you use to approve or decline a request for a tax deduction?
- How would you organize your weekly schedule if you had to inspect X number of properties in two opposite ends of the town?
- What types of commercial property are you most experienced assessing?
- What property tax exemptions are veterans granted?
- What kind of real estate software are you familiar with?
- What methods do you use to determine the value of a property?
- How do the demographics of a neighborhood affect the value of a property?
- How do you respond if a resident files a property tax appeal?
- Describe a time when your experience in inspecting equipment or material helped you identify structural issues in a building.
- What was the most challenging property you’ve evaluated?
- How do you network with mortgage lenders and construction workers?
- Describe a time you had to work with a demanding landowner. How did you assess their property while providing quality customer service?
- How do you stay up-to-date with industry regulations and changes in tax legislation?