Use these sample Analytics Manager interview questions as part of your hiring process to evaluate candidates’ skills.
Analytics Manager Interview Questions
Analytics Managers apply strategies and implement tools to help companies translate raw data into useful business information. This data may be external market metrics (benchmark reports) and/or internal performance data.
As the job title suggests, candidates for this role should have excellent analytical skills. They should be able to derive logical conclusions from large amounts of data. Candidates should also have hands-on experience with business intelligence tools, like Tableau and SAS. If applicable, consider adding an Excel test to your hiring process to evaluate candidates’ knowledge of spreadsheets and advanced formulas.
Your candidates may come from various academic backgrounds, like Computer Science, Statistics or Economics. The following questions will help you gauge how candidates report and manage data discrepancies. If the role involves managing a team of Data Analysts, test your potential hires’ leadership skills and assess their culture fit.
Operational and Situational questions
- What data would you compile to forecast our company’s growth for next year?
- How would you organize data into spreadsheets to track performance metrics for each department? What kinds of reports would you produce?
- What models would you use to forecast monthly sales revenues based on historical data?
- How would you explain to senior managers how a big data model works, using simple language?
- What database software have you used?
- Describe your experience with statistical analysis tools, like SPSS and SAS.
- Do you have experience creating a data model from scratch? If so, describe the process step-by-step.
- How do you maximize security of confidential data?
- What are the most effective ways to ensure your predictions are accurate using data correlation?
- What is selection bias and how can you avoid it?
- When presenting performance metrics, how do you make sure your audience understands technical terms?
- How do you stay up-to-date with industry trends?
- Describe the most challenging database issue you’ve faced so far. How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time your findings helped a company identify areas of improvement and/or reduce costs.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial