Use this Tutor job description for advertising your vacancies and finding qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Tutor responsibilities include:
- Reviewing classroom or curricula topics and assignments
- Assisting students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom
We are looking for a Tutor to join our academic institution to help students review class assignments, review examinations and prepare for tests both inside and outside the classroom.
A Tutor is responsible for helping students learn and understand new concepts and complete assignments. They prepare lessons by studying lesson plans, reviewing textbooks in detail to understand the topic they will be teaching and providing additional projects if needed during a session.
Ultimately, you will work directly with students to assist them in gaining a better understanding of concepts taught in the classroom. You may also communicate with teachers or parents to track progress.
- Contribute to student learning, growth and advancement
- Demonstrate academic competence in the subject area(s) and build a curriculum
- Maintain a growth mindset toward student learning and teaching practice
- Facilitate problem-solving with a curious mind and critical thinking skills
- Collaborate effectively with parents and the organization to increase student performance
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Tutor or similar role
- Patient, flexible, positive, consistent, dependable and cooperative with a sense of humor
- Ability to take supervision and correction constructively
- Ability to positively supervise students
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Tutor do?
A Tutor provides instruction to students outside the classroom and helps them prepare for examinations. They do this by assessing their learning needs and weaknesses in skills that need improvement.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Tutor?
A Tutor is responsible for helping students with individualized assistance. They study lesson plans and review textbooks to prepare for a tutoring session, which includes preparing additional projects as well answering questions about the material being covered in class or on an assignment if needed.
What makes a good Tutor?
A good Tutor should have great communication skills to connect with their students and share complex information based on their student’s needs. They also need to have a strong understanding of different subject matters to ensure students learn during their sessions.
Who does a Tutor work with?
A Tutor typically works directly with students outside of the classroom. Sometimes they work with Teachers to learn what students need to improve on to prepare for tests.