Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Treasurer Interview Questions
Treasurers are key players when it comes to the financial health of your organization. They have a wide range of duties including overseeing investments and liquidity risk management. Depending on the company, the role may also involve simpler tasks like account reconciliations.
A bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting is typical. Most also have extensive experience as a treasurer or in a position with important financial duties. Excellent candidates must have a deep knowledge of their field and be able to use that knowledge in complex situations and processes. A treasurer’s profile should also include important elements such as reliability, communication skills, leadership, critical thinking and decision-making.
The following questions will give you an idea on how to evaluate those requirements during an interview. It’d be very helpful to ask questions specific to your business and the position. Better yet, present them with a short case or financial problem and ask them to evaluate them and present a solution.
- What’s key to a healthy investment?
- How would you explain liquidity risk management to a non-finance person?
- When would you issue a debt and how?
- What information do you need to measure interest rate risk?
- What’s your experience in hedging?
- What cash management software do you prefer and why?
- Do you pay more attention to direct reports or subordinates?
- What do you do to follow money markets?
- Describe a time where your good management allowed your company to save money
- Tell me about a time you coached others towards success
- Have you ever had trouble enforcing a specific regulation? How did you handle it?
- Describe a time you spotted a mistake in the company’s cash statements
- Explain how you maintained good relationships with partners and/or agencies in your previous job