Sanitation Worker job description
A Sanitation Worker is a professional who collects garbage and hauls away waste materials for disposal in landfills.
Use this Sanitation Worker job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Sanitation Worker responsibilities include:
- Visiting numerous residential and commercial locations, on a daily basis, to collect waste
- Transporting and disposing of garbage in a safe, effective and environmentally friendly manner
- Ensuring recyclables such as glass, paper and plastic are correctly separated
We are looking for a hardworking Sanitation Worker to properly collect the garbage and recyclables of communities, businesses and organizations.
A Sanitation Worker’s responsibilities include disposing of hazardous waste correctly and ensuring that there is no garbage left on the streets or natural areas.
Ultimately, you will take the garbage to an appropriate disposal facility such as a dump or landfill at the end of each day.
- Manually collect garbage or use an automated garbage-disposal truck
- Lift heavy objects and work in all weather conditions
- Drive garbage trucks while others ride along
- Operate the truck mechanisms for lifting, dumping and setting the trash cans or dumpsters down
- Perform some manual labor for items such as brush piles or furniture that trucks can’t lift
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Sanitation Worker or similar role
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques when handling heavy objects
- Experience working with hazardous materials and knowledge of proper waste disposal methods
- Working knowledge of GPS and online mapping sites
- Excellent physical fitness and strength
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Sanitation Worker do?
A sanitation worker is a person who cleans, maintains and operates all of the equipment or technology at each step in a city’s sanitation system. They are essential to keeping our cities clean by collecting trash from residential and commercial businesses and bringing the items to the dump.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sanitation Worker?
The responsibilities of a Sanitation Worker will vary depending on the task. Still, they typically ride in garbage trucks and pick up trash from businesses or residents' homes throughout the city.
What makes a good Sanitation Worker?
A good Sanitation Worker should be physically fit since they will be on their feet and moving throughout most of their shift. They should also have a basic understanding of proper disposal methods to dispose of various materials properly.
Who does a Sanitation Worker work with?
A Sanitation Worker typically works in a small team to complete various tasks, and they report to a General Manager who sets work schedules and answers questions throughout the day.
Hiring Sanitation Worker job description
Post this Sanitation Worker job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.