Probation Officer job description
A Probation Officer is a professional who advises and monitors the movements of criminal offenders who are on probation. They recommend rehabilitation programs for them and conduct drug tests to ensure their compliance with the conditions of their probation.
Use this Probation Officer job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Probation Officer responsibilities include:
- Interviewing probationers regularly to evaluate their progress
- Developing, recommending and implementing rehabilitation and treatment plans
- Maintaining contact with probationers and their families
We are looking for a Probation Officer to join our team and manage multiple cases to ensure individuals comply with the conditions of their probation.
Probation Officer responsibilities include instituting rehabilitation plans, monitoring progress and arranging other services to support probationers and help them achieve their goals.
Ultimately, you will work directly with probationers and their families to ensure each individual has the resources and support they need to meet their terms of probation successfully.
- Initiate court action or recommend remedial action for probation violations
- Verify compliance with substance abuse treatment programs by administering drug and alcohol tests
- Prepare and maintain case files, records and progress reports
- Inform inmates or offenders of specific conditional release requirements
- Arrange court-ordered treatment services and oversee community-based sentences
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Probation Officer or similar role
- Good critical thinking skills and social perceptiveness
- Ability to manage multiple cases
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Strong time and stress management skills
- A degree in criminology, sociology or criminal justice is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Probation Officer do?
A Probation Officer is an intermediary between judges and offenders, helping them fulfill their probation by employing various monitoring techniques to ensure probationers meet the conditions of their probation.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Probation Officer?
Probation Officers have many responsibilities, but they typically oversee the development and support of individuals on probation by providing assistance, direction and information to probationers as needed.
What makes a good Probation Officer?
A good Probation Officer must have excellent communication skills since they work with a wide range of individuals. They must also have a strong understanding of the legal system, as they need to understand court orders to ensure probationers meet their conditions as outlined by the court.
Who does a Probation Officer work with?
A Probation Officer will work with many people in the legal system, including Police Officers, to ensure probationers adhere to the terms of their probation.
Hiring Probation Officer job description
Post this Probation Officer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.