Paraprofessional job description
Paraprofessionals are essential to the success of any classroom. They assist teachers with everything from scheduling programs and implementing curriculum to maintaining a clean environment for students.
Use this Paraprofessional job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Paraprofessional responsibilities include:
- Coordinating with the teacher on lessons and daily classroom activities
- Assisting other educators with administrative tasks like paperwork and reports
- Communicating with children and helping them understand lessons
We are looking for a Paraprofessional to join our team and support teachers in the management and organization of a classroom. They will provide positive guidance for students, attending to their physical needs as well as academics and emotional wellbeing. They will also provide much-needed support during instruction time. If you enjoy interacting with students and supporting teachers and educators, we’d like to meet with you. Feel free to share your past experience along with your application.
Paraprofessional responsibilities include providing staff support in an educational or childcare environment. Paraprofessionals will work with children individually or in small groups by providing basic instruction on reading, writing, math, and other education related activities as assigned by teachers’ directions.
Ultimately, you will lead and supervise various developmentally appropriate events depending on the directed teacher’s instructions. You should show flexibility, patience, and a genuine caring attitude towards students.
- Prepare the classroom to promote a healthy and safe learning environment
- Ensure classroom safety guidelines are met at all times
- Utilize various techniques to be successful with managing students
- Engage with children to enhance and encourage learning
- Assist the teacher in modifying materials to meet the specific needs of a child
- Provide basic caregiving duties, support, and encouragement in all aspects of development
- Assist with other personal or physical care assistance
- Take necessary precautions to protect students
- Monitor the classroom and minimize distractions and disruptions
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Paraprofessional or similar role
- Must complete and pass a criminal background check
- Passionate, dedicated, and committed to teaching children
- Experience in helping teachers in a classroom environment desired
- Dependable and punctual
- Good understanding of the educational system
- Strong interpersonal and social attributes
- Have patience with children, including those with special needs
- Ability to stand, move around, and squat for long hours at a time
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent is required; Bachelor’s degree is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Paraprofessional do?
Paraprofessionals provide instructional, behavioral, and other support to students in the classroom or other areas of the campus. Paraprofessionals often work one-on-one with special needs children who may be receiving services like speech therapy or occupational counseling while they're away from school for an extended period of time.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Paraprofessional?
Paraprofessionals play a special role in the education of students by managing their students’ behavior during lessons and helping them achieve academic success while still following all school policies set in place by administrators, such as tracking their grades. In addition, Paraprofessionals help implement lesson plans, grade papers, develop individual behavior plans, and take on basic caregiving duties throughout the day.
What makes a good Paraprofessional?
Paraprofessionals work with students who have a range of needs, so Paraprofessionals must be good listeners and make the effort to understand what students are trying to communicate. They must be able to communicate instructions to students clearly.
Who does a Paraprofessional work with?
Paraprofessionals work with a variety of educators and administrators depending on their company or institution. . Paraprofessionals typically work closely with a teacher, service provider, school or district administrator.
Hiring Paraprofessional job description
Post this Paraprofessional job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.