Use this Meter Reader job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Meter Reader responsibilities include:
- Inputting data about customer electricity and gas usage into database software
- Traveling in the local region to visit each home or business on the meter reading list each day
- Assessing each utility meter during the monthly visit to ensure the device is working properly
We are looking for a Meter Reader to join our team and assist our billing department by reading electrical meters on homes and businesses.
Meter Reader responsibilities include traveling to the homes and businesses of our customers to read their electrical meters and input your findings into our central database.
Ultimately, you will work alone to record information about the meters in a handheld device so our billing department can be sure that customers are paying the appropriate amount based on their electrical usage.
- Greet customers at their homes or places of business when the meter is not accessible from the outside, and schedule a meter reading when necessary
- Provide new electricity and gas activation services to new customers by connecting the meter to the utility company’s network and disconnecting service when required
- Report inoperable and malfunctioning devices or unauthorized changes to the meter to supervisors when spotted during field checks
- Complete routine maintenance tasks or make small repairs to the utility meter when asked by the customer and the company
- Log all details of each work shift, such as addresses visited, meters checked, breaks taken and any other incidents to be uploaded into the tablet device each day
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Meter Reader or similar role
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work independently
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Meter Reader
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Meter Reader do?
- A Meter Reader will walk between sites to observe the readings on various meters and input their findings into a handheld device that uploads information to our organization’s database.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Meter Reader?
- A Meter Reader has many responsibilities, such as inspecting meters, collecting and documenting meter readings, and communicating with customers when needed to gain access to their meters.
- What makes a good Meter Reader?
- A good Meter Reader must have excellent communication skills since they may be required to talk with customers at their home or businesses to gain access to the meters.
- Who does a Meter Reader work with?
- A Meter Reader will work with many professionals, such as a Shift Manager, to ensure that all meters on their route are reviewed and appropriate information is uploaded to the organization’s database in a timely manner.