Use this Medical Examiner job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Medical Examiner responsibilities include:
- Performing autopsies to determine the cause of death
- Undertaking examinations of specimens, tissues, organs, fluids, and blood to determine abnormalities that may have resulted in death
- Investigating sudden and/or unnatural deaths, in conjunction with law enforcement, when needed
We are looking for a Medical Examiner to join our team and conduct postmortem medical examination on decedents to understand how and when they died.
Medical Examiner responsibilities include conducting on-site investigations, performing autopsies to determine the cause of death, and running various types of lab work like bloodwork and tissue samples to help law enforcement understand the cause of death.
Ultimately, you will work with a team to perform investigations and autopsies to determine how and when decedents died.
- Conduct on-site investigations to obtain data and information pertaining to a case
- Review police reports and check medical records of decedents for pertinent information relating to death
- Prepare reports of findings to be given to law enforcement to aid any ongoing investigations
- Provide expert testimony in court regarding autopsies and the findings thereof
- Prepare death certificates and determine when decedents may be released
- Proven work experience as a Medical Examiner or similar role
- Valid and active medical license in the state you wish to work
- Experience using lab testing equipment
- Working knowledge of applicable laws and statutes governing forensic services
- Exceptional analytical and research skills
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Medical Examiner
Frequently asked questions
What does a Medical Examiner do?
A Medical Examiner investigates how a person died in order to help law enforcement understand if a crime was committed.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Examiner?
A Medical Examiner has many responsibilities, such as performing autopsies, undertaking examinations of tissues and organs, and performing on-site investigations of crime scenes when needed.
What makes a good Medical Examiner?
A good Medical Examiner must have excellent attention to detail since they will be required to perform various tests and examinations to determine how and when a person died.
Who does a Medical Examiner work with?
A Medical Examiner will work with many professionals, like Police Officers, to perform on-site investigations to determine how and when a person died.