Use this Mason job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Mason responsibilities include:
- Building structures with stone, concrete and tile
- Cutting, shaping and dressing materials
- Lifting, carrying and placing prepared blocks
We are looking for a skilled Mason to join our team to cut and dress stone and lay it with modern power tools, like tractors or trucks, and traditional hand tools.
A Mason’s responsibilities include texturing and polishing blocks of rock, installing dressed stone and restoring old damaged work done by hand with modern techniques like mortar mixing on site.
Ultimately, you will work with other professionals on a construction site to deliver high-quality work based on the needs of our clients.
- Assist in building layout, framing, sheathing and roofing structures
- Use equipment and tools to safely perform basic construction tasks
- Correct any safety hazards and report them to the foreman
- Read and follow technical drawings
- Train apprentices as needed to ensure projects are completed in a timely manner
- Mix cement and mortar on the job site as needed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Mason or similar role
- Experience working with other professionals on a construction site
- Certification in masonry or equivalent preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Mason do?
Masons are construction experts who work with various materials, including brick, block, stone and concrete for a wide variety of construction projects.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mason?
A Mason may have a wide range of duties depending on the needs of the job site. For example, they may be responsible for mixing mortar, cutting stones or laying pavers to achieve the project’s goal.
What makes a good Mason?
A good Mason must have excellent mathematical skills since they will read complex plans and cut materials to fit the job site. They also need excellent communication skills to work with other construction workers on the construction site.
Who does a Mason work with?
A Mason typically works with a small group of other construction workers to complete tasks of a construction project. They are supervised by a Construction Foreman who assigns tasks throughout the project.