Use this Mail Carrier job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
What is a Mail Carrier?
A Mail Carrier is a professional who is responsible for delivering and collecting mail to homes and businesses. They follow designated routes, sort mail, load it onto vehicles, and ensure timely delivery and collection of letters, documents, and parcels.
What does a Mail Carrier do?
A Mail Carrier performs various tasks related to the delivery and collection of mail. They sort mail, load it onto trucks or carry it by hand, travel along planned routes, and deliver mail to homes and businesses. They also collect outgoing mail and handle postage payments. Additionally, they maintain delivery logs, obtain signatures for registered mail, and provide customer service by selling postal products and addressing customer inquiries.
Mail Carrier responsibilities include:
- Delivering letters, documents, and parcels to businesses and homes
- Traveling along planned routes on foot or by truck
- Collecting outgoing mail along the route and collecting money for postage due
We are seeking a dedicated Mail Carrier to join our team and handle the important task of delivering and collecting mail.
Your primary responsibilities will involve loading mail onto trucks, sorting it efficiently, and delivering it to homes and businesses.
When necessary, you may need to personally deliver mail by hand.
As a Mail Carrier, you will work independently to ensure that each piece of mail reaches its intended destination in a timely manner.
Your commitment to punctuality and accuracy will play a vital role in maintaining a reliable and efficient mail delivery service.
Join our team and contribute to the smooth flow of communication within our community.
- Sort mail, including packages, according to delivery sequence
- Load sacks and boxes filled with mail onto and off mail truck
- Maintain logs to monitor delivery rates and vehicle maintenance scheduling
- Obtain signatures on registered, insured, and certified mail
- Sell stamps, money orders, and other postal products to customers along route, particularly on rural routes
- Communicate with dispatcher and modify route according to instructions when needed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Mail Carrier or similar role
- Integrity and respect for confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to read and understand English with high degree of proficiency
- Good communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Depending on route, must be able to lift and carry heavy sacks of mail and walk long distances
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Mail Carrier
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Mail Carrier do?
- A Mail Carrier delivers and collects mail to homes and businesses, ensuring timely and accurate distribution. They travel designated routes, sort mail, load vehicles, and provide customer service.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mail Carrier?
- The duties of a Mail Carrier include sorting mail, loading and unloading mail vehicles, maintaining delivery logs, obtaining signatures, selling postal products, and modifying routes based on instructions.
- What makes a good Mail Carrier?
- A good Mail Carrier is physically fit, able to walk long distances and lift heavy mail sacks. They have excellent time management skills, attention to detail, and prioritize accuracy and efficiency in mail delivery.
- Who does a Mail Carrier work with?
- A Mail Carrier works with a team of fellow carriers, supervisors, and dispatchers. They also interact with customers, addressing inquiries and providing assistance.
- What skills should a Mail Carrier have?
- A Mail Carrier should have strong communication and customer service skills. They should be proficient in reading and understanding English, possess integrity and respect for privacy, and have the physical ability to handle the demands of the job.