Use this Mail Carrier job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Mail Carrier responsibilities include:
- Delivering letters, documents, and parcels to businesses and homes
- Traveling along planned routes on foot or by truck
- Collecting outgoing mail along the route and collecting money for postage due
We are looking for a Mail Carrier to join our team to deliver and collect mail between homes and businesses.
Mail Carrier responsibilities include loading mail onto trucks, sorting mail, and delivering mail to homes or businesses by hand when needed.
Ultimately, you will work alone to ensure each piece of mail is delivered to the required destination in a timely manner.
- Sort mail, including packages, according to delivery sequence
- Load sacks and boxes filled with mail onto and off mail truck
- Maintain logs to monitor delivery rates and vehicle maintenance scheduling
- Obtain signatures on registered, insured, and certified mail
- Sell stamps, money orders, and other postal products to customers along route, particularly on rural routes
- Communicate with dispatcher and modify route according to instructions when needed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Mail Carrier or similar role
- Integrity and respect for confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to read and understand English with high degree of proficiency
- Good communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Depending on route, must be able to lift and carry heavy sacks of mail and walk long distances
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Mail Carrier
Frequently asked questions
What does a Mail Carrier do?
A Mail Carrier sorts, delivers, and collects mail along a dedicated route to ensure that all homes and businesses receive their mail in a timely manner.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mail Carrier?
A Mail Carrier has many responsibilities, such as traveling planned routes throughout the city, collecting outgoing mail, and sorting mail or packages according to the delivery sequence required by the route.
What makes a good Mail Carrier?
A good Mail Carrier must be in excellent physical condition since they will be required to walk and stand for long periods of time throughout the day.
Who does a Mail Carrier work with?
A Mail Carrier will work with many professionals, like a Dispatcher, to ensure they follow a planned route and stay on schedule throughout the day.