Use this Library Assistant job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Library Assistant responsibilities include:
- Helping patrons locate books
- Aiding guests in finding material online
- Checking books in and out at the front desk
We are looking for a Library Assistant to join our team and support the daily operations of our library.
Library Assistant responsibilities include helping patrons check out books, find available books and ensure that all books are organized throughout the day.
Ultimately, you will work directly with guests to locate books and keep all materials organized throughout the library.
- Sort and shelve books according to their categorization
- Register new patrons and maintain and update their profiles
- Maintain records of books taken out and books brought back
- Catalog new arrivals
- Assist guests with internet access and ensure their technical needs are met
- Organize the repair of damaged books
- Inspect the condition of books before and after check-out to ascertain any damage on behalf of the customer
- Manage inquiries over the counter and via email or telephone
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Library Assistant or similar role
- Basic computer literacy
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving ability
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Library Assistant
Frequently asked questions
What does a Library Assistant do?
A Library Assistant is essential to any library by overseeing that all operations are fulfilled throughout the day.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Library Assistant?
A Library Assistant will have many duties, but their main responsibilities include shelving books, organizing materials for patrons' use or research needs as well as doing administrative work such as assisting with the day-to-day operations of their local branch.
What makes a good Library Assistant?
A good Library Assistant needs to have excellent attention to detail since they organize books and other materials throughout the day. They must also have excellent communication skills, as they work with patrons throughout the day.
Who does a Library Assistant work with?
A Library Assistant will work in a small group to complete daily tasks, and they are typically supervised by a Librarian who will set schedules and ensure all tasks are completed.