Use this Lead Data Engineer job description template to advertise open roles for your company. Be sure to modify requirements and duties based on the unique needs of the role you’re hiring for.
What is a Lead Data Engineer?
A Lead Data Engineer is a key figure in an organization, responsible for overseeing the architecture and management of data systems. They play a crucial role in ensuring that data is stored, processed, and utilized effectively, aligning with the company’s strategic goals.
This role requires a deep understanding of data management principles and the ability to apply them in a practical, business-focused context.
What does a Lead Data Engineer do?
A Lead Data Engineer is tasked with several critical responsibilities in an organization. They implement and manage software processes that move data between the Data Warehouse and internal systems, ensuring seamless data flow.
They are responsible for maintaining and updating the data engineering architecture, focusing on reliability and performance. A significant part of their role involves ensuring data accuracy and quality, identifying inconsistencies, and resolving data issues.
They design and implement ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes, preparing data for use by various internal stakeholders. Additionally, they make data accessible through reporting platforms and consult internal customers on data utilization. They also analyze data to derive business-relevant insights and communicate these findings to stakeholders, aiding in data-driven decision-making.
Lead Data Engineer responsibilities include:
- Implementing data processes for the Data Warehouse and production systems
- Managing and updating Data Engineering architecture
- Designing and implementing ETL processes
- Analyzing data and communicating insights to stakeholders
We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering Team. In this senior role, you will be responsible for managing our Enterprise Data Warehouse and ensuring the efficient flow and quality of data.
Your tasks will include implementing data processes, managing data architecture, designing ETL processes, and analyzing data for business insights. You will also make data accessible through various platforms and consult internal teams on data usage.
This role is ideal for someone with extensive experience in data management, a strong background in computer science, and excellent communication skills.
- Implement data processes for the Data Warehouse and internal systems
- Manage and update Data Engineering architecture
- Implement processes for data accuracy and reconciliation
- Design and implement ETL processes
- Make data available through reporting platforms
- Analyze data and communicate insights to stakeholders
Requirements and skills
- At least 8 years of work experience, with 2 years in a similar role
- Experience in data architecture, data quality, metadata management, ETL, analytics, reporting, and database administration
- Strong computer science background and knowledge of software development methodologies
- Excellent knowledge of SQL
- Programming experience in a modern language (ideally Python)
- Good communication skills
- Diligent, rigorous, and collaborative
- Bonus: Experience in Project Management, Business Analysis, Consulting, Operations, Statistical analysis, Quality Assurance
- Familiarity with Redshift, APIs, Git, Linux, AWS, Google Cloud is a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Lead Data Engineer do?
- A Lead Data Engineer manages and optimizes data architecture, implements data processes, designs ETL processes, and analyzes data to provide business insights.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Lead Data Engineer?
- The duties of a Lead Data Engineer include managing data architecture, ensuring data quality, designing ETL processes, and analyzing and communicating data insights.
- What makes a good Lead Data Engineer?
- A good Lead Data Engineer possesses strong technical skills in data management, a deep understanding of data architecture, excellent problem-solving abilities, and effective communication skills.
- Who does a Lead Data Engineer work with?
- A Lead Data Engineer collaborates with IT teams, data analysts, business stakeholders, and external vendors to manage and utilize data effectively.
- How important is SQL knowledge for a Lead Data Engineer?
- SQL knowledge is crucial for a Lead Data Engineer as it is the primary language used for managing and querying relational databases, essential for data manipulation and analysis.