Use this Fire Watchman job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Fire Watchman responsibilities include:
- Patrolling areas where hot work is being performed and maintaining vigilance of potential fires
- Being familiar with facilities and procedures for sounding an alarm in the event of a fire and having a means of notifying emergency services
- Having fire-extinguishing equipment readily available and being well-trained in its use
We are looking for a Fire Watchman to join our team and oversee work areas where welding and other hazardous work is being carried out to prevent fires and other accidents from occurring.
Fire Watchman responsibilities include patrolling areas where work at dangerous temperatures is being carried out, ensuring that all work conditions meet the organization’s requirements, and preparing fire extinguishers and other safety equipment around the building.
Ultimately, you will work directly with a team of construction workers to ensure each work area is safe and free from fire or other hazardous conditions.
- Maintain the conditions and requirements stated on the safety permit
- Inspect the entire work area to look for the potential release of flammable vapors or liquids before, during, and at the end of each shift
- Operate fire extinguishers, hydrants, fixed monitors, and hose carts anytime
- Stay on job site while the work is being performed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Fire Watchman or similar role
- Knowledge of fire and safety prevention methods where hot work is being carried out
- Ability to work long hours depending on the needs of the job site
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Fire Watchman
Frequently asked questions
What does a Fire Watchman do?
The Fire Watchman is a safety professional who helps prevent small fires that are started by sparks and bits of molten metal whenever hot work is carried out on a construction site.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Fire Watchman?
A Fire Watchman has many responsibilities, such as maintaining the conditions and requirements of a work area and watching out for fire hazards in the workplace as other employees perform various types of work.
What makes a good Fire Watchman?
A good Fire Watchman must have good judgment since they are responsible for identifying and addressing safety concerns in a work area to prevent fire hazards.
Who does a Fire Watchman work with?
A Fire Watchman will work with many professionals, like a Shift Supervisor, who sets the daily schedule and ensures that all work is conducted in a safe and efficient manner.