Digital Marketing Manager Interview Questions
Your Digital Marketing Manager should have a strong grasp of current marketing tools and strategies and be able to lead integrated digital marketing campaigns from concept to execution. This means working with the marketing team, any supporting teams (such as programmers), and any vendors to launch campaigns on time and on budget. Interview questions for digital marketing should assess their ability to strategically plan campaigns based on existing needs, and analyze results when campaigns have concluded.
As a marketing manager, this person will likely report to a VP of Marketing or a Marketing Director. Although they are not directly responsible for the long-term success of the company, they should be able to see how their activities impact the big picture goals of the business. This person must be organized, resourceful, creative, and have strong interpersonal skills. They may be in charge of hiring and training staff. If so, be sure to add interview questions around coaching, motivating, delegating tasks, and monitoring the performance of their colleagues.
Use the following digital marketing interview questions as a starting point and tailor them according to your needs. These are open-ended, situational questions that encourage candidates to speak at length about their approach to planning, problem-solving, and decision-making. The best candidates will be metrics-driven and will have exceptional communication skills. They’ll demonstrate success through numbers and have strong work samples to share. They’ll also be knowledgeable about your product and customers, and will tailor their digital marketing interview questions and answers accordingly. They may even prepare a campaign plan, or offer original suggestions for improvement.
- Talk about one of your most effective campaigns. What made them so effective?
- How do you know when a campaign has failed? What metrics do you use?
- What does the conversion funnel look like at your company?
- How many people are on your current marketing team? What are their roles?
- How would you describe your current brand’s tone of voice and visual identity?
- How do your customers inform your approach to brand-building?
- How do you get product feedback from your customers?
- What tools do you use to stay organized?
- Talk about your experience with editorial calendars.
- What is the relationship between SEO and content marketing?
- What are some common SEO mistakes in digital content production?
- What are the most important and effective social media channels for your brand?
- What is your experience with marketing automation?
- What role does paid advertising play in your overall strategy?
- What is your experience with co-marketing campaigns?
- What is the importance of thought leadership at your current organization?
- Describe a time you worked with a team to create a campaign on a tight budget.
- What is your approach to structuring a marketing budget?
- What is your approach to editing copy?
- Describe a time you gave constructive feedback to a colleague.
- Describe a time your team didn’t agree with your direction. How did you handle it?
- How would you handle negative feedback about your brand?
- What’s interesting about our current marketing? What could we do better?