Development Director job description
A Development Director is responsible for the fundraising efforts within an organization. They build relationships with people and organizations, securing philanthropic support that helps to fuel programs or projects.
Use this Development Director job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Development Director responsibilities include:
- Using sales and spending cycles to guide fundraising campaign decisions
- Finding and engaging ideal donors from public and private investors
- Creating a respectful reputation for the company or nonprofit they represent
We are looking for a person who is as passionate and enthusiastic about our organization’s mission as we are, someone with an understanding of the importance this work has in driving change in communities around the world.
A Development Director’s responsibilities include having experience leading major gift programs at organizations or schools because we know it takes more than money if you want your ideas fulfilled.
Ultimately, you will work to help grow the organization and increase donorship throughout the year.
- Collaborate with the board of directors to create and implement a fundraising plan
- Maintain relationships with existing sponsors
- Obtain financial support from individuals and organizations
- Manage fundraising and special events
- Generate development materials such as grants and case statements
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Development Director or similar role
- Superb written and verbal communication skills to speak with donors and other stakeholders across the organization
- Work with fundraising software and tools to track progress throughout the year
- Good organizational and time management skills to help keep projects on track
Frequently asked questions
What does a Development Director do?
The Development Director is responsible for planning and implementing a strategic fundraising plan in order to raise vital funds. They oversee all aspects of the process, including personnel selection as well as campaign strategy.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Development Director?
A Development Director has a wide range of responsibilities to support the fundraising needs of their organization. They work with managers from different departments, developing strategies that can be used to secure funding and sponsorships. They also must maintain relationships between donors.
What makes a good Development Director?
A Development Director's job requires them to make artful pitches, but also forecast future income and gather feedback from donors for public relations professionals. They also attract attention from potential supporters of their organization's cause or event as they build long-term relationships with those who've pledged money to development projects.
Who does a Development Director work with?
The Development Director works closely with public relations professionals who are in charge of attracting attention from potential supporters. They also host industry events that raise awareness about what the group does at any given time – like an upcoming project or campaign launch.
Hiring Development Director job description
Post this Development Director job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.