Detective Job Description
A Detective is a professional who is responsible for seeking out information and researching the circumstances of situations to solve crimes or uncover details about civil matters.
Use this Detective job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Detective responsibilities include:
- Conducting detailed investigations of criminal activities and other violations of local, federal or state law
- Collecting, analyzing and preserving evidence
- Directing crime scene investigators and other law enforcement personnel at crime scenes
We are looking for a Detective to join our team to lead investigations over criminal activities and build cases against suspects linked to crimes.
Detective responsibilities include collecting and analyzing evidence, interviewing witnesses and making arrests as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with a team of Police Officers and other Detectives to build cases against individuals suspected of crimes.
- Employ deductive reasoning and analysis to make informed decisions and conclusions that lead to prosecution
- Write detailed case reports and file and maintain records
- Coordinate search and arrest warrants and arrest suspects, as needed
- Testify in court regarding case evidence and findings in order to secure a conviction
- Operate firearms and electronic surveillance equipment
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Detective or similar role
- Proficiency with computers and other multimedia technology
- Critical thinking, problem-solving skills, deductive reasoning and social perceptiveness
- Ability to work irregular hours, weekends and holidays
- A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or a related field is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Detective do?
A Detective is a skilled investigator who uses their knowledge of the criminal investigation to solve cases.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Detective?
Detectives typically lead a team of investigators to gather information at a crime scene and collect evidence to build cases against suspects. They also conduct interviews, examine records and monitor suspects throughout the case.
What makes a good Detective?
A good Detective must be hardworking and trustworthy to ensure all evidence is handled properly throughout the case proceedings. They must also have good communication skills since they work with a team of investigators and share important information to ensure their case is built properly.
Who does a Detective work with?
A Detective will work with many professionals throughout the justice system like Police Officers as they gather and process evidence at crime scenes.
Hiring Detective Job Description
Post this Detective Job Description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.