Deputy Sheriff job description
A Deputy Sheriff is a professional who enforces laws, investigates crimes, and arrests suspected criminals.
Use this Deputy Sheriff job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Deputy Sheriff responsibilities include:
- Patrolling highways and roads with radio-equipped county vehicles
- Operating radio, telephone, and other communications devices to respond to complaints and other calls
- Assisting citizens or properties under threat
We are looking for a Deputy Sheriff to join our team and protect our community by enforcing laws and apprehending criminals.
Deputy Sheriff responsibilities include escorting detainees to and from court proceedings, preparing court records, and collaborating with municipal and state officers as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with other law enforcement professionals to investigate crimes, arrest suspects, and ensure citizens and property are not in danger.
- Assist at accident scenes and guard disaster areas
- Detect, investigate, and deter criminal activities
- Apprehend criminal and traffic law offenders
- Transport and escort detainees to and from the court and involuntary psychiatric commitments to healthcare facilities
- Maintain courtroom peace and security
- Serve court documents and attach property
- Report to higher-ranking officers on assignments and to ask for assistance and advice
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Deputy Sheriff or similar role
- Completion of physical and medical examination
- Completion of written entry and physical agility examination
- Availability to work with little or no notice
- Able to work shifts, over weekends, on public holidays, and during inclement weather
- Familiar with the geography of the county
- Proficient in using and maintaining a firearm
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Deputy Sheriff
Frequently asked questions
What does a Deputy Sheriff do?
A Deputy Sheriff patrols counties to ensure citizens and property are safe in the community.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Deputy Sheriff?
A Deputy Sheriff will have many responsibilities, such as patrolling assigned areas, investigating crime scenes, and transporting detainees to and from court appearances.
What makes a good Deputy Sheriff?
A good Deputy Sheriff must be in excellent physical condition since they are required to run, jump, and stand for long periods of time throughout the day. They also need to be highly organized since they maintain various legal documents for prisoners and other proceedings.
Who does a Deputy Sheriff work with?
A Deputy Sheriff will work with many law enforcement professionals like Police Officers and Criminal Investigators during an investigation.
Hiring Deputy Sheriff job description
Post this Deputy Sheriff job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.