Use this Community Health Worker job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Community Health Worker responsibilities include:
- Helping individuals and families access health resources
- Facilitating communication and client empowerment in interactions with health care/social service systems
- Helping health care and social service systems become culturally relevant and responsive to their service population
We are looking for a Community Health Worker to join our team and work as the frontline public health worker for our patients in the community. This position will serve as a liaison between the health services and our community to facilitate access to quality service and health care delivery.
Community Health Worker responsibilities include staffing tables at community events, helping patients complete applications and other paperwork and completing checks on individuals with specific health conditions.
Ultimately, you will work with a diverse range of people to ensure they have access and resources needed to meet their health needs while out in the community.
- Helping people understand their health condition(s) and develop strategies to improve their health and well being
- Helping to build understanding and social capital to support healthier behaviors and lifestyle choices
- Delivering health information using culturally appropriate terms and concepts
- Linking people to health care/social service resources
- Providing informal counseling, support and follow-up as needed with patients
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Community Health Worker or similar role
- Experience working with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
- Understanding of the healthcare system and how to help patients find necessary resources
- A bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field is preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Community Health Worker do?
- A Community Health Worker acts as an advocate for patients in community settings, promoting and improving health by providing social support and individual counseling when necessary.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Community Health Worker?
- A Community Health Worker helps individuals and families access health resources, facilitates communication and empowerment in healthcare interactions, and ensures culturally relevant and responsive services.
- What makes a good Community Health Worker?
- A good Community Health Worker possesses excellent people skills, respects diverse experiences and opinions, and has a strong understanding of medical options available to different communities for providing optimal recommendations.
- Who does a Community Health Worker work with?
- A Community Health Worker typically collaborates with a team of healthcare professionals, such as social workers, to help individuals receive the necessary healthcare options and support.
- What skills should a Community Health Worker have?
- A Community Health Worker should have proven experience in the field, familiarity with various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds, knowledge of the healthcare system, and the ability to connect patients with appropriate resources.