Use this Communications Director job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Communications Director responsibilities include:
- Developing a cohesive communications strategy
- Assembling and overseeing a diversely skilled communications team
- Projecting a positive company image to the public
We are looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic Communications Director to manage the image and public perception of our brand.
The Communications Director’s responsibilities include managing public perception of a company, which incorporates developing marketing and communication strategies as well as understanding the importance of timing in setting messages.
They will have experience responding to emergencies such as crises or setbacks with an eye on consistency across releases. This requires significant management skills that can be difficult without previous managerial roles.
Ultimately, you will be responsible for the integrity and perception of our brand through PR crises to preserve our organization’s reputation at all times.
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy
- Prepare and manage all communications material
- Develop a brand voice and maintain brand integrity across all platforms
- Manage media relations
- Develop contacts with media members, influencers and community leaders
- Lead a team of communication, marketing and design professionals
- Assist in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Communications Director or similar role
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with communications technologies
- Understand principles of copywriting, graphic design, layout and publishing
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing
- Impeccable copywriting and copy editing abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related discipline is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Communications Director do?
Communications Directors create and manage communications strategies. Toward that goal, they leverage a variety of communications skills as well as multiple years of experience working in domains such as PR, marketing and advertising campaigns.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Communications Director?
The role of a Communications Director is to set the tone for messaging and portray an organization’s values. They are responsible for establishing relationships with media outlets, developing strategic marketing plans and handling public relations issues that arise internally or externally.
What makes a good Communications Director?
Communications Directors must have strong writing skills, communications abilities and team-working qualities. In addition, they should be able to work with different departments to ensure the organization’s messaging is consistent. They must also be able to work under pressure and have the ability to think strategically in hectic situations.
Who does a Communications Director work with?
Typically, Communications Directors work with leaders across the organization to identify, define and produce messaging based on the needs of the organization. They usually work with a range of professionals across the organization, like Marketers, to get ahead of a story and preserve the public perception of the organization in a crisis.