Use this City Clerk job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.]
City Clerk responsibilities include:
- Recording, editing, and distributing minutes of council meetings
- Communicating effectively with management, government officials and staff
- Acting as a liaison between the City Council and the public
We are looking for an organized City Clerk to join our team to coordinate clerical duties within a municipal government. This individual will work with members of the council and other departments to execute their agenda.
A City Clerk’s responsibilities include recording minutes of council meetings and maintaining all municipal documents. They must also prepare meeting agendas that report on current issues facing our community, store financial records in a secure location and retrieve them when needed.
Ultimately, you will work with various departments across our local government to ensure council members can achieve their agendas.
- Draft meeting agendas and bylaws
- Record data and ensure that documents are stored, filed and maintained correctly
- Utilize computer databases and software
- Prepare and maintain official reports, legal documents, financial records and reference material
- Coordinate municipal elections
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a City Clerk or similar role
- Computer skills and knowledge of software applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Time management and organizational skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a City Clerk do?
The City Clerk is in charge of our city seal and attestation to sign any legal documents. In addition, they receive all official contracts.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a City Clerk?
A City Clerk has a wide range of responsibilities, from recording votes to helping enforce city council resolutions; they’re essential for keeping track of what's happening throughout the local community.
What makes a good City Clerk?
A good City Clerk must have excellent communication skills to communicate clearly with various departments. They must also have excellent organizational skills to ensure documents and notes are stored properly.
Who does a City Clerk work with?
A City Clerk works directly with the Mayor, City Council and various Managing Directors of all city administration departments.