What is a Business Intelligence Analyst?
A Business Intelligence Analyst is a strategic role that involves analyzing complex data sets to identify business and market trends. They utilize various data methodologies and tools to provide actionable insights and solutions to the company’s challenges.
What does a Business Intelligence Analyst do?
A Business Intelligence Analyst reviews data to understand trends and develop insights. They work closely with various teams to establish performance metrics, create reports and dashboards, and communicate findings to help guide business decisions and strategies.
Business Intelligence Analyst responsibilities include:
- Developing an understanding of business operations and contributing departments
- Defining Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and reports for departmental and company-wide performance
- Implementing reports and dashboards using reporting software
- Performing ad-hoc analyses to answer complex business questions
We are seeking a Business Intelligence Analyst to join our Business Analytics team.
In this role, you’ll work with all company departments to define KPIs, measure performance, and implement predictive analytics.
You’ll develop a deep understanding of our business and contribute to our continued growth by providing actionable insights that shape our operational strategies.
This is an opportunity to make a significant impact in a fast-paced environment.
- Develop a solid understanding of the business, the contribution of each department, and the metrics that drive performance
- Work jointly with department heads and analysts to define KPIs and reports for company-wide performance measurement
- Implement reports and dashboards using Enterprise reporting software
- Perform ad-hoc analyses to answer business questions and seek data-based insights for business operations improvement
- Maintain a corporate repository of metric definitions, ensuring clarity and consistency
- Monitor data quality and resolve any issues in collaboration with data owners
Requirements and skills
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role (business analyst, data analyst, reporting analyst, or quantitative analyst)
- Proficiency with reporting software like Tableau and a strong understanding of databases and SQL
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics, Finance, Economics or a related field
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to listen and articulate your ideas clearly
- Analytical, diligent, and rigorous in your approach to problems
- Curiosity about data and a passion for finding answers hidden in data sets
- Bonus points for experience in consulting, operations, statistics, predictive analytics, or SaaS
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Business Intelligence Analyst do?
- A Business Intelligence Analyst analyzes data to derive actionable insights that inform and influence strategic decisions and processes within the company.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Business Intelligence Analyst?
- Their duties include defining KPIs, implementing reports and dashboards, performing ad-hoc analyses, maintaining metric definitions, and monitoring data quality.
- What makes a good Business Intelligence Analyst?
- A good analyst has strong analytical skills, is detail-oriented, possesses excellent communication skills, and has a keen curiosity about data.
- Who does a Business Intelligence Analyst work with?
- They typically work with department heads, analysts, data owners, and sometimes directly with executives, contributing across all departments of the company.