Benefits Coordinator interview questions and answers
Use these sample Benefits Coordinator interview questions to evaluate candidates for your HR department. For more senior roles, check our sample of Benefits Specialist interview questions.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Benefits Coordinator Interview Questions
Benefits Coordinators manage employees’ benefits and perks packages, like life and health insurance, mobile plans and remote working.
Good communication skills are important, as this person will interact frequently with external partners and employees (e.g. to address their questions.) Also, Benefits Coordinators handle paperwork (e.g. employment contracts and insurance forms) so keep an eye out for people with solid organizational abilities. Ability to manage confidential information is another key requirement.
During interviews, look for candidates who are both competent and creative. Those who can recommend new perks and benefits that fit your company will help you increase satisfaction and retention in the long-run. Knowledge of labor legislation is a plus.
Operational and Situational questions
- What perks would you suggest we offer to employees with children? (e.g. sponsored day care, flexible hours, work from home)
- What kinds of benefits could help increase diversity in the workplace?
- How would you measure how many employees use their unlimited vacation plan?
- How would you explain the terms of our retirement plan policy to an employee?
- An employee was involved in a car accident while using their company car outside of working hours. What steps would you need to take to address this situation?
- How would you respond if an employee complained that their coworker had more vacation days than them?
- What tools (e.g. software or spreadsheet) do you use to calculate employees’ vacation time?
- How do you ensure that our health insurance plans cover handicapped employees?
- Describe the reimbursement process for travel expenses. What are your tasks?
- How do you keep track of monthly and annual costs of employees’ benefits?
- What are the advantages of offering stock option plans to employees?
- Who should communicate benefits to new employees, their manager or HR? Why?
- How do you ensure you accurately update employee records?
- Describe a time when you made a mistake at work (e.g. forgot to renew a mobile plan.) What did you learn from that experience?
- How do you respond when employees ask about their coworkers’ benefits?