Bank Teller interview questions and answers
This Bank Teller interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Bank Teller Interview Questions
When hiring a Bank Teller, you’re looking for someone with a strong working knowledge of banking products or an interest in banking and the ability to learn quickly on the job. It’s preferable if the person you hire has had direct customer-facing and cash-handling experience. If not, hiring an organized, smart, empathetic “people person” can be a good alternative.
Use these interview questions to see if your candidates have a genuine desire to help customers and can exercise good situational judgement. These are crucial for this role. These questions are also useful for assessing candidates’ communication skills. Your Bank Teller should enjoy talking to people and be capable of meeting the sales goals of this position.
Some of these questions are written specifically to help you assess the candidate’s ability to navigate customers’ banking needs. If you’re dealing with a candidate who does not have previous teller experience, feel free to substitute some of your own questions. Math questions are useful for this position. You can also ask open-ended behavioral questions that will help you see how they prioritize tasks, work on a team, deal with conflicts, and meet challenging goals.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe a time you resolved a situation with an angry customer.
- Describe a time you didn’t deliver good customer service. How did you handle it?
- Describe a time when a customer had a problem and you didn’t know how to address it.
- Describe a time you suggested a way to make a process more efficient.
- Explain the primary differences between savings and checking accounts.
- What banking products do you use and why?
- How would you sell [this bank product]?
- Let’s say that the customer declined your sale. How would you handle it?
- What is cross-selling? Why is it important?
- What would you do if you were behind on meeting your weekly goal?
- Walk me through your previous company’s teller cash outage policy.
- This job tends to be repetitive. What motivates you? How can we motivate you?