Prompt communication during all hiring stages is the foundation of a positive candidate experience. A “thank you for your application” email lets candidates know that their resume didn’t get lost and signals that you have an organized hiring process.
In your email:
- Thank candidates for taking the time to apply for a role at your company.
- Remind them of the exact job they applied for.
- Mention the status of their application and next steps (e.g. “The hiring manager/ recruiting team is currently reviewing all applications.”)
- If possible, give candidates a timeframe of when to expect hearing back from you.
Application acknowledgement email template
Email subject line
Thank you for your application / Your application at [Company_name]
Hi [Candidate_Name] / Dear [Candidate_Name],
Thank you for applying to the [Job_title] position at [Company_name].
I’d like to inform you that we received your [application/resume/portfolio.] Our hiring team is currently reviewing all applications and we are planning to schedule interviews [mention timeframe, e.g. in the next two weeks.] If you are among qualified candidates, you will receive [e.g. a call/email] from our one of our recruiters to schedule [e.g. a phone interview.] In any case, we will keep you posted on the status of your application.
Email sign off
Thank you, again, for taking the time to apply to this role at [Company_name.]
What should be included in an application acknowledgement email?
Upon receiving a job application, the initial communication with the candidate sets the tone for the entire hiring process. An application acknowledgment email serves as this crucial first touchpoint. It’s essential to start the email with a warm and personalized greeting, addressing the applicant directly by their name.
This simple gesture can make the communication feel more individualized and less automated.
Expressing gratitude is the next pivotal element. Taking a moment to genuinely thank the applicant for their interest in the company and the effort they’ve put into their application can foster goodwill. This acknowledgment not only confirms the receipt of their application but also conveys appreciation for their desire to be a part of the organization.
To help manage the candidate’s expectations, it’s beneficial to provide a brief overview of the selection process. By outlining what the subsequent steps might entail, whether it’s a series of interviews, assessments, or background checks, the candidate gains a clearer understanding of what lies ahead.
Coupled with this, offering a tentative timeline can be immensely helpful. Informing candidates about when they might expect further communication or updates reduces anxiety and uncertainty, making the waiting period more bearable.
Open lines of communication are always appreciated. By providing the candidate with a point of contact, be it an HR representative or a hiring manager, you’re ensuring they have a direct avenue to address any queries or seek clarifications. This openness not only aids the candidate but also reflects positively on the company’s approachability and transparency.
In today’s digital age, data privacy is paramount. If applicable, it’s a thoughtful touch to reassure candidates that their personal and professional details will be treated with the utmost confidentiality, used solely for the purposes of the hiring process.
Concluding the email on a positive note can leave a lasting impression. A brief expression of looking forward to potentially progressing with their application, followed by a professional sign-off, rounds off the communication effectively.
If there are additional resources or materials that might benefit the candidate at this juncture, including them can be a value-added gesture, further enhancing the candidate’s perception of the company.
In essence, an application acknowledgment email, while seemingly straightforward, carries significant weight. It’s the company’s first opportunity to showcase its professionalism, respect for candidates, and its organizational culture.
Frequently asked questions
- Why personalize the application acknowledgement email?
- Using the applicant's name establishes an immediate personal connection, making the candidate feel individually recognized and setting a positive, respectful tone for subsequent interactions.
- What's the significance of offering a clear timeline?
- Providing a clear timeline alleviates uncertainties and anxieties. It ensures candidates aren't left in the dark, promoting transparency and demonstrating organizational efficiency.
- How does detailing subsequent steps aid applicants?
- By outlining upcoming steps, candidates gain a roadmap of the selection process. This transparency prepares them for what's ahead and showcases the company's organized approach.
- Why mention data privacy in the email?
- Data privacy is paramount in today's digital age. Assuring candidates their information is safe underlines the company's commitment to ethical practices and builds foundational trust.
- How does a positive conclusion impact the candidate's perception?
- Concluding optimistically leaves candidates with a favorable impression, emphasizing the company's positive culture and genuine interest in potential employees.