Use this Air Traffic Controller job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Air Traffic Controller responsibilities include:
- Monitoring and regulating ground and air traffic
- Providing useful information related to weather, wind, flight paths, possible delays and runway openings and closures
- Alerting response teams of safety concerns or emergencies
We are looking for an Air Traffic Controller to join our team and maintain communication with aircraft to provide updates on weather conditions, visibility and provide guidance for pilots regarding runway availability.
Air Traffic Controller’s responsibilities include monitoring and reporting changes in wind and weather conditions to pilots.
Ultimately, you will work directly with pilots to direct their movements and monitor their positioning to prevent collisions and other accidents as they pass through the air space.
- Inform pilots of any runway closures, bad weather or other critical information
- Direct pilots through the entire takeoff and landing process
- Alert the airport response team whenever there is an aircraft emergency
- Give departing flight control to other traffic control centers and receive control of any arriving flight
- Assist in searches for missing aircraft
- Compile and analyze data and reports to develop more effective flight plans and prevent delays
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Air Traffic Controller or similar role
- Exceptional communication and decision-making skills
- Familiarity with technology, including radio and computer equipment
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain thorough and accurate records
- Strong task and time management skills
- Ability to analyze information and draw conclusions
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an Air Traffic Controller
Frequently asked questions
What does an Air Traffic Controller do?
An Air Traffic Controller’s primary concern is safety, but they must also direct aircraft efficiently in order to minimize delays. They manage the flow of planes into and out of an airport while guiding pilots during takeoff and landing procedures, as well as monitoring each plane's progress throughout its journey. Air travelers can expect a smooth ride with these employees on board.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Air Traffic Controller?
An Air Traffic Controller is responsible for monitoring and directing the movement of aircraft on the ground and in the air. They must use a number of technologies to control all ground traffic at airports and update pilots about weather and wind conditions as they take off and land at an airport.
What makes a good Air Traffic Controller?
A good Air Traffic Controller must have excellent communication skills since they need to deliver accurate information to pilots. They must also be able to work in high-stress environments, as they are responsible for several aircraft at a time.
Who does an Air Traffic Controller work with?
An Air Traffic Controller will work with several pilots such as Airline Pilots at major airports to help direct aircraft as they take off and land