Use this Sterile Processing Technician job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Sterile Processing Technician responsibilities include:
- Collecting used and contaminated equipment, instruments and supplies for sorting and decontamination
- Cleaning supplies of contaminants, removing waste matter and operating and maintaining decontamination equipment
- Preparing and packing decontaminated supplies for sterilization
We are looking for a Sterile Processing Technician to join our team and oversee the sterilization and cleaning of medical equipment, instruments or supplies in a sterile processing environment.
Sterile Processing Technician responsibilities include retrieving contaminated supplies from medical facilities, maintaining the inventory of sterile equipment and preparing sterile equipment on instrument trays for surgeons and other medical professionals.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team to ensure all surgical and medical equipment in our medical facilities are sterile and safe for patient use.
- Monitor and operate sterilization equipment
- Examine supplies meticulously to ensure they are properly cleaned and sanitized
- Test and report any issues or problems with the sterilization equipment
- Sterilize, prepare, wrap and organize equipment into instrument trays for use during medical procedures
- Prepare and deliver all necessary equipment and instruments for surgeries, examinations, medical procedures and medical carts
- Maintain records of sterilization procedures, sterilized items, equipment maintenance and supplies
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Sterile Processing Technician or similar role
- Strong attention to detail, vigilance and meticulous care on the job
- Passion for keeping people safe
- Good judgment and critical-thinking skills
- Manual dexterity and the ability to handle fragile equipment
- Technical skills and familiarity with sterilization techniques
- The ability to work well in a team or independently
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Sterile Processing Technician
Frequently asked questions
What does a Sterile Processing Technician do?
A Sterile Processing Technician ensures that all surgical instruments are sterilized and safe to use in surgeries and other medical procedures.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sterile Processing Technician?
A Sterile Processing Technician will have many duties throughout the day, such as retrieving and processing used instruments, processing instruments with various chemicals to sterilize the instruments for future use and ensuring the organization has an adequate inventory of instruments as needed.
What makes a good Sterile Processing Technician?
A good Sterile Processing Technician must have excellent organizational skills since they are required to oversee the sterilization of instruments across different departments. They must also have good communication skills to provide updates to Surgeons and other medical professionals throughout the day.
Who does a Sterile Processing Technician work with?
A Sterile Processing Technician typically works alone when they sterilize instruments, but they may work with Surgical Technicians to ensure instruments are set properly in operating rooms upcoming operations.