Use this Referral Coordinator job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Referral Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Expediting patient referrals to specialty offices
- Completing referral requests as needed
- Faxing and sending medical records to our various departments for processing
We are looking for a Referral Coordinator to join our team and complete various administrative tasks to support our patients by sending referral documentation to our different departments.
Referral Coordinator responsibilities include sending referral documentation to various departments and answering phone calls.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team to organize, manage, and deliver referral documents on behalf of our patients to different departments in our health care facility.
- Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals to promote team awareness and ensure patient safety
- Ensure complete and accurate registration, including patient demographic and current insurance information
- Assemble information concerning patient’s clinical background and referral needs
- Provide appropriate clinical information to specialist
- Contact review organizations and insurance companies to ensure prior approval requirements are met
- Provide specific medical information to financial services to maximize reimbursement to the hospital and physicians.
- Review details and expectations about the referral with patients
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Referral Coordinator or similar role
- Strong customer service focus
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Teamwork orientation
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Referral Coordinator
Frequently asked questions
What does a Referral Coordinator do?
The Referral Coordinator is responsible for referral operations at assigned clinics, establishing and standardizing systems and procedures for the distribution and use of health information throughout the organization.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Referral Coordinator?
A Referral Coordinator has many responsibilities, such as organizing patient information, ensuring complete and accurate registration, and providing appropriate clinical data to specialists.
What makes a good Referral Coordinator?
A good Referral Coordinator must have excellent attention to detail since they will be responsible for the organization and accuracy of several patient files at the same time.
Who does a Referral Coordinator work with?
A Referral Coordinator will work with many professionals, such as an Intake Coordinator, to ensure all patient data is organized and delivered to the appropriate specialists in a healthcare facility.