Use this Recreational Therapist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
What is a Recreational Therapist?
A Recreational Therapist is a healthcare professional responsible for planning and coordinating interactive recreational programs for patients in order to aid their recovery from illnesses or disabilities. They utilize therapeutic activities and exercises to promote physical and mental well-being.
What does a Recreational Therapist do?
A Recreational Therapist organizes therapy sessions and develops rehabilitation programs tailored to the needs of patients. They interact with patients, offer recommendations for physical and mental wellness, and assist them in participating in recreational activities such as art, sports, music, or dance. Their goal is to improve patients’ overall health and help them adjust to disabilities or illnesses through engaging and therapeutic experiences.
Recreational Therapist responsibilities include:
- Organizing therapy sessions to interact with patients and offer recommendations for physical and mental wellness
- Developing and implementing rehabilitation programs to help patients adjust to a disability or illness
- Ensuring treatment plans are suitable for patients’ physical condition and are in accordance with their preferences
We are looking for a Recreational Therapist to join our team and help our patients recover from various illnesses through interactive recreational programs.
Recreational Therapist responsibilities include building unique therapeutic relationships with clients and assisting them with fun exercises and other therapeutic activities for their illnesses.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients through therapeutic activities and treatment to help them recover from a variety of injuries and illnesses.
- Monitor and keep track of patient’s progress to modify treatment program as necessary
- Obtain and review patient’s medical records to assess patients abilities, interests, and needs
- Provide health tips to patients and their families on leisure activities and lifestyle changes necessary for improved health conditions
- Organize and lead patients in recreational activities such as art, sports, music or dance
- Liaise with other health care professionals to plan and evaluate therapy programs
- Help patients develop skills useful in participating in leisure exercises
- Maintain accurate record of patient information, treatment program and recovery progress
- Prepare and present reports to treatment team to highlight patients response to therapy
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Recreational Therapist or similar role
- Multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to remain objective and decisive in difficult situations
- Expert assessment skills
- Strong organizational abilities
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Recreational Therapist do?
- A Recreational Therapist plans and coordinates interactive recreational programs to aid patients in their recovery from illnesses or disabilities, promoting physical and mental well-being through therapeutic activities.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Recreational Therapist?
- Duties of a Recreational Therapist include organizing therapy sessions, developing and implementing rehabilitation programs, ensuring treatment plans are suitable for patients' conditions, and offering recommendations for physical and mental wellness.
- What makes a good Recreational Therapist?
- A good Recreational Therapist possesses excellent communication skills, works well with patients, and collaborates effectively with other healthcare professionals. They have a deep understanding of therapeutic activities and exercises and are dedicated to promoting patients' overall health and well-being.
- Who does a Recreational Therapist work with?
- A Recreational Therapist works closely with patients, their families, and a team of healthcare professionals, including nurses, to ensure comprehensive care and support for patients' recovery.
- What skills should a Recreational Therapist have?
- A Recreational Therapist should have strong multi-tasking and organizational abilities, the ability to remain objective in difficult situations, expert assessment skills, and a proven track record in the field.