Use this Ramp Agent job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates.
Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Ramp Agent responsibilities include:
- Guiding aircraft to and from gates and reversing them for take-off
- Parking arriving and departing aircraft
- Placing chocks and cones around aircraft for safety
We are looking for a Ramp Agent to join our team and ensure that aircraft run on time by providing various under-wing activities, such as overseeing record keeping, moving baggage and building aircraft between gates.
Ramp Agent responsibilities include loading and unloading luggage from aircraft, delivering luggage to passengers and performing cabin maintenance services as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team to ensure aircraft are cleaned and maintained properly so aircraft can take off and land within their scheduled time frame.
- Load and unload arriving and departing aircraft cargo, baggage and mail onto carts and/or dollies
- Provide special handling of baggage, cargo and mail as required
- Collect, load and unload live animals and dangerous goods on and off aircraft when necessary
- Deliver passenger baggage to the claim area and unload baggage onto the conveyor system
- Perform cabin maintenance and cleaning services, including restocking the aircraft
- Comply with all airport authority and carrier security requirements, including adhering to Swissport Standard Operating Procedures
- Report all equipment malfunctions to the appropriate supervisor
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Ramp Agent or similar role
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques when handling heavy objects
- Experience working with live animals and other dangerous goods
- Working knowledge of airport safety procedures
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Great physical fitness and strength
- Superb time management
- Ability to endure tough working conditions
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Ramp Agent
Frequently asked questions
What does a Ramp Agent do?
A Ramp Agent oversees various tasks to ensure aircraft are maintained and see that proper luggage is taken off aircraft as needed.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Ramp Agent?
A Ramp Agent will have a variety of duties depending on where they work, but they are typically responsible for tasks such as loading and unloading freight, delivering luggage to passengers and servicing the aircraft as needed.
What makes a good Ramp Agent?
A Ramp Agent must have excellent physical fitness since they will be on their feet throughout their shift and are required to lift heavy objects. They must also have good communication skills, as they coordinate with a team to unload luggage and service aircraft.
Who does a Ramp Agent work with?
A Ramp Agent will work with a small team to complete various tasks throughout their shift, and they are supervised by a General Manager who assigns tasks and ensures quality standards are met.