Use this Psychiatric Technician job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Psychiatric Technician responsibilities include:
- Observing patients’ behavior, listening to their concerns, and recording their condition
- Leading patients in therapeutic and recreational activities
- Giving medications and other treatments to patients, and following instructions from doctors and other medical professionals
We are looking for a Psychiatric Technician to join our team and help provide exceptional care to our patients while they are in our healthcare facility.
Psychiatric Technician responsibilities include admitting and discharging patients, monitoring patients’ vital signs, and helping patients with daily activities as needed.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients to help them with various tasks and daily activities.
- Help with admitting and discharging patients
- Monitor patients’ vital signs, such as their blood pressure
- Help patients with activities of daily living, including eating and bathing
- Restrain patients who may become physically violent
- Monitor patients’ behavior and location in a mental healthcare facility
- Help patients with their daily living activities, such as bathing and dressing
- Serve meals and help patients eat
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Psychiatric Technician or similar role
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques
- Ability to interact with students, faculty and/or staff in a team environment
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Psychiatric Technician
Frequently asked questions
What does a Psychiatric Technician do?
A Psychiatric Technician helps patients with mental illness and developmental disabilities complete various tasks throughout the day.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Psychiatric Technician?
A Psychiatric Technician has many responsibilities, such as recording patients’ vital signs, helping to transport patients, and assisting nurses with patient care throughout the day.
What makes a good Psychiatric Technician?
A good Psychiatric Technician must have excellent communication skills since they need to communicate with patients and provide information to other healthcare professionals when needed.
Who does a Psychiatric Technician work with?
A Psychiatric Technician will work with many professionals like Nurses to ensure patients receive the care and attention they need while in a healthcare facility.