Peer Support Specialist job description
A Peer Support Specialist is a professional who provides support to people struggling with substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Use this Peer Support Specialist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Peer Support Specialist responsibilities include:
- Responding to call-outs and client emergencies as needed
- Meeting with clients regularly to offer one-on-one support and counseling
- Developing recovery plans, coping methods, and rehabilitation strategies with the client
We are looking for a Peer Support Specialist to join our team and provide support for our clients as they look to overcome substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Peer Support Specialist responsibilities include conducting support meetings, developing recovery strategies, and responding to patient emergencies as needed.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients to help them address substance abuse and mental health disorders while they are at our healthcare facility.
- Arrange medical appointments, therapy sessions, support groups, and other resources to aid the client
- Monitor the client’s behavior, schedule, medication, and activities
- Report any unusual behavior, conflicts, or recovery deviations to the relevant professionals
- Liaise with family members and medical professionals regularly
- Coordinate client logistics such as medical appointments and therapy sessions, among others
- Conduct assessments and providing feedback to the client, medical professionals, and the family
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Peer Support Specialist or similar role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly compassionate and attentive to details
- The ability to be on call for emergencies and work on weekends and public holidays
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Peer Support Specialist
Frequently asked questions
What does a Peer Support Specialist do?
A Peer Support Specialist helps patients achieve recovery who struggle with wellness and mental health conditions.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Peer Support Specialist?
A Peer Support Specialist has many responsibilities, such as conducting peer meetings, developing recovery plans, and working with patient family members to help them address substance and mental health conditions.
What makes a good Peer Support Specialist?
A good Peer Support Specialist must have excellent communication skills, as they need to know how to listen to and discuss sensitive issues with patients and their families.
Who does a Peer Support Specialist work with?
A Peer Support Specialist will work with many professionals, such as a Mental Health Counselor, to ensure patients receive the attention they need to address substance abuse and mental health conditions.
Hiring Peer Support Specialist job description
Post this Peer Support Specialist job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.