Use this Mortgage Underwriter job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Mortgage Underwriter responsibilities include:
- Authorizing and underwriting loans
- Reviewing and verifying loan applications and supporting documentation
- Analyzing loan risk and requesting additional information as necessary
We are looking for a Mortgage Underwriter to join our team and determine the eligibility of loan applicants.
A Mortgage Underwriter’s responsibilities include analyzing and verifying loan applications, evaluating financial risks and making final decisions on eligibility for applicants.
Ultimately, you will work with a team of financial experts to determine the qualifications of applicants to accept or decline different types of loans.
- Prepare reports on assessment findings
- Make loan eligibility decisions and approve or reject applications
- Review and specify loan conditions as necessary
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company policies and guidelines
- Document and effectively communicate reasons for the approval or rejection of loans
- Return applications with additional documentation to the loan officer for review
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Mortgage Underwriter or similar role
- Highly organized and able to prioritize
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Detail-oriented with strong data analysis skills
- High mathematical aptitude
- A bachelor’s degree in business or finance is preferred
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Mortgage Underwriter
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Mortgage Underwriter do?
- A Mortgage Underwriter oversees the decision-making process to determine if a loan is approved or denied.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mortgage Underwriter?
- A Mortgage Underwriter will have a variety of responsibilities depending on where they work, but they typically focus on reviewing loan applications, analyzing financial risks associated with each applicant and calculating premiums and the amount of coverage the mortgage will cover if approved.
- What makes a good Mortgage Underwriter?
- A good Mortgage Underwriter must have excellent financial skills in order to review complex documents and determine the eligibility of a loan. They must also be highly organized since they will handle several applications at a time.
- Who does a Mortgage Underwriter work with?
- A Mortgage Underwriter works with several professionals in their financial institution, such as a Loan Officer, to ensure loans are processed correctly.