Use this Mental Health Technician job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Mental Health Technician responsibilities include:
- Supporting healthcare professionals in hospitals and private institutions
- Ensuring the comfort of patients during and between treatments
- Bathing, dressing and/or feeding patients based on individual abilities
We are looking for a Mental Health Technician to join our team and work with physicians by monitoring patients’ wellbeing and providing support through the creation of reports and other documentation.
Mental Health Technician responsibilities include observing patients, reporting information about a patient’s mood and providing transportation to patients as needed.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients throughout the day to provide supervision and support for Doctors while patients are in our healthcare facility.
- Track any behavioral changes in patients that may be of use to healthcare providers
- Chart patient observations following prescribed procedures and standards
- Participate in the development and implementation of patient treatment programs
- Maintain confidentiality of patient records
- Transport patients to and from appointments, clinics, laboratories and/or treatments as needed
- Perform initial patient evaluations to determine treatment priorities, such as taking vital signs, weight, as well as urine, stool and sputum specimens
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Mental Health Technician or similar role
- Ability to remain professional and respectful when assisting stressed patients
- Ability to work flexible hours
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle would be beneficial
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Mental Health Technician
Frequently asked questions
What does a Mental Health Technician do?
A Mental Health Technician helps to promote safety, comfort and a therapeutic environment for patients by assisting them with activities of daily living and attending to behavioral problems when necessary in addition to crisis intervention.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mental Health Technician?
A Mental Health Technician will have many duties depending on where they work, but they typically focus on providing direct patient care and guidance as needed.
What makes a good Mental Health Technician?
A good Mental Health Technician must have excellent communication skills, as they work with a variety of patients throughout the day. They must also be detail-oriented since they record patient observations and medical progress while at the healthcare facility.
Who does a Mental Health Technician work with?
A Mental Healthcare Technician will work with many healthcare professionals throughout the day. They are typically supervised by a Registered Nurse or a Doctor to ensure their patient receives proper care.