Use this Mental Health Counselor job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Mental Health Counselor responsibilities include:
- Evaluating clients' mental, behavioral and emotional health
- Conducting preliminary interviews and documenting cases from the initial consultation to the end of treatment
- Developing appropriate intervention and recovery plans for individuals, couples, families and groups
We are looking for a Mental Health Counselor to join our team and provide our patients with professional mental health evaluations and cultivate treatment plans for patients with mental health issues.
A Mental Health Counselor’s responsibilities include developing treatment plans, facilitating individual and group interventions and overseeing the overall mental health wellbeing of their patients.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients to help them overcome mental health issues and lead a healthier life.
- Facilitate individual and group therapy sessions
- Monitor progress throughout the treatment plan
- Collaborate on intervention plans with other mental health specialists, doctors, nurses, and social workers
- Follow up with psychiatrists and attending physicians for clients admitted to the hospital
- Identify and prevent behaviors that impede recovery
- Assist family members and primary caregivers in managing mental behavioral challenges
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Mental Health Counselor or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of the effects of drugs prescribed by medical specialists
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and sympathetic nature
- A master’s degree in mental health counseling or similar
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Mental Health Counselor
Frequently asked questions
What does a Mental Health Counselor do?
A Mental Health Counselor works with patients who have various mental illnesses such as depression, anger management problems and suicidal thoughts. They also help patients through issues related to parenting, relationships, substance abuse addiction and self-image concerns.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mental Health Counselor?
A Mental Health Counselor will have many duties depending on the individual or groups they work with. However, they typically work directly with patients to evaluate their mental health needs, conduct mental health evaluations, and establish treatment plans to help their patients reach their goals.
What makes a good Mental Health Counselor?
A good Mental Health Counselor must be an expert in psychotherapy to ensure they can provide their patients with the utmost care. They should also have excellent communication skills since they work with a range of patients with mental health issues.
Who does a Mental Health Counselor work with?
A Mental Health Counselor works directly with clients, but they also work with several medical professionals like Physicians as needed to ensure their patients receive the care they need.