Use this Medical Technician job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Medical Technician responsibilities include:
- Collecting and prepare blood, urine and tissue samples for analysis
- Examining collected samples and identify any cell abnormalities
- Maintaining laboratory inventory levels and, if necessary, place orders for new supplies
We are looking for a Medical Technician to join our medical team. They must have a sharp analytical mind and excellent organization skills.
A Medical Technician’s responsibilities include examining blood samples and organizing them correctly and according to standards to provide accurate reports from their examinations.
Ultimately, you will collect and prepare samples for analysis. You may also be asked to test them using various procedures like dye tests or other diagnostic machinery to ensure accurate results are collected from the beginning of the testing process.
- Determine normal and abnormal components of body fluids
- Conduct chemical analyses of blood, urine, spinal fluids and gastric juices
- Analyze blood cells by counting and identifying cells
- Use microscopic techniques and procedures
- Prepare blood, plasma and platelets for transfusions
- Conserve laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed
- Provide medical technology information by answering questions and requests
- Prepare reports of technological findings by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical Technician or similar role
- Certificate to work as a medical technician
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a medical technician
- Advanced knowledge of biology and chemistry
- Proven experience working with various medical equipment and tools
- Bachelor’s degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Medical Technician do?
Medical Technicians use their scientific knowledge to help Doctors diagnose their patients. For example, they may collect blood, bodily fluids and tissue samples for testing by physicians or hospital labs and provide results on-site so that doctors can make informed decisions about treatment options.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Technician?
Medical technicians are responsible for collecting blood and other bodily fluids to analyze them, which can help diagnose a disease or assess patient health.
What makes a good Medical Technician?
A good Medical Technician must have a strong work ethic, the desire and ability to solve problems under pressure and have a strong understanding of the medical field and medical technology.
Who does a Medical Technician work with?
A Medical Technician typically works with other medical professionals like Doctors to provide test results based on the needs of their patients.