Use this Medical Scribe job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Medical Scribe responsibilities include:
- Preparing and assembling medical record documentation/charts for the physician
- Updating patient history, physical exam and other pertinent health information in the patient
- Organizing and sending all documentation to physician for review
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented individual to join our team as a Medical Scribe. The Medical Scribe is a vital member of the medical staff, who not only assists physicians with paperwork but also operates their EHR system. They are required to keep track of time to not impede patient care.
A Medical Scribe’s responsibilities include collaborating with physicians and performing clerical tasks like printing out lab reports or charting doctor’s appointments, operating electronic health records, and anticipating the needs of the physician to ensure efficiency in a clinical setting.
Ultimately, you are responsible for recording doctors’ conversations with their patients and assisting them in completing paperwork after each visit. You’ll be required to fill out summaries of what was discussed during the consultation or treatment session, as well as referral letters sent on behalf of your patient’s insurer.
- Taking notes during patient visits and documenting them in the electronic health records system
- Learning about the medical process and using a team approach in patient supervision and documentation
- Working with a supervising Physician or Doctor to complete and submit medical records
- Communicating with patients and supervising Physicians professionally
- Completing all administrative tasks efficiently and helping the Physician take tests and give out medication
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical Scribe or similar role
- Ability to expertly document patient care and transcribe patient appointments
- Assure the accuracy of all documentation and records
- Advanced computer skills to transcribe and record information across our network
- Keep the privacy of all patient information that you learn throughout your duties
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to handle high-pressure situations effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good bedside manner and interpersonal skills to communicate with patients effectively
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent
Frequently asked questions
What does a Medical Scribe do?
Medical Scribes are professionals who transcribe information during clinical visits in real time into electronic health records (EHRs) under physician supervision. All data is checked for accuracy and any discrepancies are noted.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Scribe?
A Medical Scribe is responsible for gathering information and documentation for patients during their visit to help Doctors and other medical staff process patients as efficiently as possible.
What makes a good Medical Scribe?
One of the most important skills that a Medical Scribe needs is their ability to listen. They must also be able to quickly document what physicians say during a visit and then accurately type on their workstation to record notes and procedure notes on behalf of medical staff.
Who does Medical Scribe work with?
Medical Scribes work directly with physicians and Doctors to transcribe information during clinical visits in real time into electronic health records (EHRs). They also work directly with patients to document and record information from their charts during their clinical visit.