Use this Medical Biller job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Medical Biller responsibilities include:
- Preparing and submitting billing data and medical claims to insurance companies
- Ensuring each patient’s medical information is accurate and up to date
- Preparing bills and invoices and document amounts due to medical procedures and services
We are looking for a Medical Biller to join our medical facility’s administrative team to process patient billing information.
A Medical Biller’s responsibilities include tasks that require data analysis and sound judgment to help our patients throughout the billing process. In addition, the best candidate for this position will be experienced with billing software and medical insurance policies.
Ultimately, you will demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, which are necessary when working with clients or agents who regularly deal in these matters.
- Generate revenue by making payment arrangements, collecting accounts and monitoring and pursuing delinquent accounts
- Collect delinquent accounts by establishing payment arrangements with patients, monitoring payments and following up with patients when payment lapses occur
- Utilize collection agencies and small claims courts to collect accounts by evaluating and selecting collection agencies, determining the appropriateness of pursuing legal remedies and testifies in court cases, when necessary
- Maintain Medicare bad-debt cost report
- Secure outstanding balance payments for care of employees
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical Biller or similar role
- Solid understanding of billing software and electronic medical records
- Must have the ability to multitask and manage time effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding problem-solving and organizational abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, health care administration, accounting or related field is preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Medical Biller do?
- A Medical Biller takes the claims dictated by a Medical Coder and submits them to a patient’s insurance company. They then make sure patients are adequately compensated and billed correctly for timely payments to be made on behalf of each party.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Biller?
- A Medical Biller is in charge of calculating and collecting payments for services like procedures, tests or surgeries. They work closely with patients to create a payment plan that works best with their budget while also providing an invoice after each visit so they can collect payment promptly.
- What makes a good Medical Biller?
- A Medical Biller should have excellent communication skills, knowledge of diseases and injuries from a quality education in medicine and technology. They must also pay close attention to detail while maintaining confidentiality with patients.
- Who does a Medical Biller work with?
- A Medical Biller helps Physicians and other medical professionals process insurance claims as quickly and efficiently as possible. They work with all medical facilities to make sure medical staff are compensated fairly for completed procedures.